1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Polishing poly... can it be done?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dangervolta, Jan 22, 2014.

1. dangervolta

dangervolta

I have an older beat up MIJ Memphis bass I'm considering refinishing because of all the craters and scratches. Is there an easier way? Could I possibly sand it down up to 12000 grit micromesh and then Rennaisance wax it back to shine? Or is poly pretty much polish and repair proof?

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Of course poly can be polished, how do you think the original shine got there? Your only worry is if you can sand deep enough to get the scratches out without cutting through the clear.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I would use some Meguir's Scratch-X and a chamois, it should remove light scratches and blemishes, then use some auto wax to get the shine back. This method works on poly and nitro.

4. dangervolta

dangervolta

OK so that would be MUCH easier! I would have to go all the way down to the wood to get all the cracks out but if I sanded it halfway through the finish it would take out almost 70% of the scratches and that would be good enough for me. I don't mind a few dings and gouges as long as it has some shine to it. So if I wet sand this baby down and go through the grit progression then finish with colortone fine polishing compound then swirl remover I should get a shine back?!?!? :eek: That would be more than awesome enough. I thought I'd either have to sand half way and spray nitro over THEN polish OR strip the whole damn thing and start over. :confused: Let me know what you think.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thunderbird66

thunderbird66

3M has some great products for this. I'd personally get the the rubbing compound for your "cut" then the stuff called "perfect- it" for your finish. I do this and have excellent results.
    A lot of auto part stores carry full lines of 3M. Good stuff

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

It should work fine. You might invest in a wool pad you can chuck into a hand drill and a couple different grades of compound. A machine polish will always shine more than by hand

8. dangervolta

dangervolta

Thanks guys this will save me some serious bucks. I was gonna drop $40 on nitro and probably make a mess. This is a much safer course of action! Ill post results later.

9. David Jayne

David Jayne

Just make believe it's a late-model car. Same stuff.