1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Polishing scratches off a semi vintage bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ampig, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

My recently purchased early 70's Jazz has scratches where a previous owner, for some reason, had started sanding on the outer edges of the headstock face. Luckily he stopped before he got all the way through the finish. My question is, should I just leave as is (which is bugging the crap out of me) or use some polishing compound to rub out the scratches? In a nutshell, will buffing out the scratches devalue the bass further?
  2. Major Softie

Major Softie

It all depends on how coarse and deep the scratches are. Unless they're very fine, it's likely that compounding will make it look "better" by smoothing the edges of the scratches without actually removing them. Ultra fine sandpaper (like 1200 or finer) would work better for removing the scratches, and then you can buff it to make it look perfect, but that removes more finish, and you might go through to the wood.

Again, it all depends on just how deep and coarse the scratches are.
  3. P Town

P Town Guest

What type of finish? Nitro-cellulose lacquer can be repaired fairly easily. Polyurethane is not as easy. If you want to polish it out, look into a set of abrasive pads, sold online by Rockler, called Micro-Mesh. Work through the grits, and use water to rince the pads, as you use them. I removed deep scratches from a guitar with these: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30924&site=ROCKLER

Stew Mac sells this product as well.
  4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Do you have any pictures?
  5. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

It's hard to get a picture that really shows it.
  6. Major Softie

Major Softie

LOL. I had just come back to post that, while pics would be nice, finish scratches are notoriously hard to show in a photo. :p
  7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Either way, you need to sand the scratches out with a hard sanding block, starting with 400 grit working your way through the grits until you get to 2000 grit. then polish. Hopefully you can get all the scratches out without getting to bare wood, if you get to bare wood you will have to refinish it.
  8. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

I really want to avoid that refin thing on a 1972 bass.
  9. JaminTravis

JaminTravis

Disclosures:
    Technical Advisor, Zymol Music
    Like pretty much everyone else has said, pictures would be helpful in finding a solution, but the scratches are hard to capture.

I try to avoid blatantly promoting the company I work for on forums because nobody likes spam, but you can check out Zymol Music's product "GBC#." It's an all natural polish for painted and gloss finishes. It isn't guaranteed to remove scratches, but depending on how deep they are, it might do the trick for you. We have tested it and also seen from a few customers that sometimes it is able to repair minor scratches and swirls.

I personally would avoid sanding or doing anything crazy unless you have experience doing these kinds of things. Try to polish it out, and if it doesn't work, let a pro do it! At least that's what I recommend. I wouldn't want to see anyone risk doing further damage to an instrument.
  10. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

This - using 400 grit sandpaper is going to go thru that finish very quickly, I wouldn't recommend that at all... I would use a polishing compound and buff it with some clean cotton rags - if that won't take it out, either leave it alone, or go to a pro...

- georgestrings
  11. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Trying to make a 40 year old bass look new & unplayed?
  12. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

Trying to minimize the damage done by a foolish previous owner who was apparently "Trying to make a 40 year old bass look new & unplayed"