Political Comedians

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Unrepresented, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    So, a post in the Two Fingers hissyquit thread reminded me that there seem to be an absence of conservative political comedians. I would assume there is a market, and yes, there are a couple, but the number of successful liberal leaning political comedians seems to dwarf the alternative.

Does humor inherently have a political bias? Does comedy as an occupation have a political bias? Note: this will not include a discussion on media political bias and try and refrain from the obligatory cheap shots. Don't get my thread locked, bro.
  2. elgecko

elgecko

Dennis Miller

Nick DiPaolo
  3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

PJ O' Rourke, although he's not a standup comedian.
  4. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Conservatives have a sense of humor?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Skeeter1

Skeeter1

Yes we do, but is somewhat unsophisticated. For example, your joke made me chuckle. (Insert smiley here)
  7. Unrepresented

Media:
    Miller was the first that came to mind, but it's odd that there's only a few really successful "household name" examples.
    Not limited to standup at all, but examining it by media type would be interesting too.
  8. elgecko

elgecko

I'm a huge fan of standup and have been racking my brains. Those are the two I can think of. :atoz:
  9. Unrepresented

Media:
    Yeah, that's kinda my point. The roster isn't that deep, but admittedly I don't follow all comedy in all formats. Is there a large underground our independent community of conservative political comedians?
  10. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

Bill O' Reilly usually good for a few good laughs.

:bag:
  11. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Conservative humor usually just isn't funny. It is usually not parody, but just saying untrue/insulting things, and pretending there's a joke there.

The best liberal comedians take shots at all sides, anyway. Watch the Daily Show. Jon Stewart will take a lot of shots at Conservatives, but he skews Liberals and Democrats as well.

As for Dennis Miller, he was a liberal comedian, and not very funny, before he became a conservative comedian, and even less funny.

It just so happens that the type of people who have the kind of warped mind you need in order to be a comedian tend to be liberal/centrist.

The biggest ingredient to being funny is to be able to laugh at yourself.
  12. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    +1e99
  13. Unrepresented

Media:
    Does someone have to be irreverent or have self-depreciating humor to be an effective political comedian?
  14. Immigrant

Immigrant

I was just wondering the same thing earlier while listening to a conservative radio show (they took away our progressive talk station 3 days after the last election). The guy (big fat airbag type) played a pre-recorded bit that wasn't funny at all, and I'm usually able to see things from another's point of view, [REDACTED TO KEEP THREAD OPEN]

I can't think of anyone besides Dennis Miller and sometimes wonder if he went there because there was a void he could fill and make money at it.
  15. Unrepresented

Media:
    I've tried watching RedEye on Fox News and while I find it lacking in chuckles, I can't decide if that's because of my bias or the material itself.
  16. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Albums:
    Adam Carolla
  17. Unrepresented

Media:
    Does he do political stuff? I love his work on LoveLine. Genius on radio, horrible on camera.
  18. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Albums:
    He does some and has conservative leanings for sure. I've caught him on Fox News from time to time but then I don't watch a lot of news in general so I don't know if I just got lucky or unlucky depending on how you look at it.
  19. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

And there we have it- a canned statement that the Left thinks they can use to define the Right. Well done.

Of course you wouldn't appreciate the humor of the Right, you're on the left. For that matter, since most of the entertainment industry is on the Left, what chance for success does someone from the Right have, in most cases? When Liberals control the vast majority of the media, music, TV and movies, it would be damn near impossible to break in, at first and then, about the only chance to get the needed attention would be by starting on the left and shifting over to the other side. Entertainers have been blackballed for being too conservative and someone recently said that she could likely kiss her career goodbye, now that Hollywood knows she's Conservative.

BTW- anyone can have a warped mind and I know a lot of Conservatives who fall in this category. They have no interest in being stand-up comedians because they tend to have marketable job skills that are more involved than being a water/waitress until their big break comes.

If Conservatives didn't have a sense of humor, would they still find comedians 'funny'?

Oh, yeah- edited to add:D
  20. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Jim Norton calls himself a conservative
  21. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

As much as many people hate him, John McCain's delivery of his joke after losing the election was pretty good. Jay Leno asked how he slept and McCain said "Like a baby. Sleep for a couple hours, wake up crying, sleep for a couple more hours, wake up crying...."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.