1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Politics and music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by glocke1, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glocke1

glocke1

Have your political views gotten in the way of your musical relationships ?

Mine have not, mainly since I am really not all that actively involved in music that much these days, but I am wondering what things would be like if I were.

Politically, I am fairly conservative, probably by definition a libertarian. I favor smaller government, less taxes, less entitlement programs, strongly believe in the second amendment (actually am pretty much of a gun nut, lets just say I own more guns than basses and leave it at that).

Probably the only area that I am liberal is that I believe in the legalization of marijuana.

I also supported Romney.

This past election season I was not shy about my beliefs, but not obnoxious about it. If people brought politics up in conversation I would engage them, and when it came to facebook I would limit my political postings to once a week (far less than the majority of my liberal FB friends).

I really can't help but wonder how my beliefs would have affected my musical relationships, especially since most of the bands I've been a member of in the past had members that were pretty far left leaning.
  2. Orangeclawhamme

Orangeclawhamme

I play with two guitarists/singers. One is liberal but doesn't say much. I have no idea where the other stands. He is very successful in his business and supremely diplomatic. That's fine with me. I don't often like to discuss politics. Suffice it to say that I can be uncomfortable with any extreme and have the curse of being able to see all three sides of a two-sided argument.

That said, I resent hearing artists carrying on about their politics on stage.
  3. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Like you, OP, I'm a libertarian conservative.

The drummer I work with is like minded. The singer is a leftie, but not dogmatically so.

The political differences don't get in the way of us making music; no problem!
  4. Nev375

Nev375

Its more of a problem these days. 20 years ago, not many people cared if you were the opposite party. Now, nothing good can come from discussing politics. Half of my family has disowned the other half. There have been threats, and some people have been informed they will never see their grandkids or nephews again. It's crazy.

I'd be shocked if a 2 party band could function now.

I expect this thread to close soon.
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

As stated in our rules, we do not allow politics here.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.