1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Poll to resolve an argument - ESP stream similar to thunderbird or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tracegun, Jan 29, 2014.

?

IS the ESP stream similar to a Gibson Thunderbird IV

1. Yes, they are similar

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  2. No, both are distinguishable

27 vote(s)
    55.1%
  1. Tracegun

Tracegun

2. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Carrots.

The ESP looks like what would happen if you made a Thunderbird out of jelly beans and then left it out in the sun and it melted.
  3. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

The ESP is unquestionably a spinoff of the Thunderbird. There are noticeable differences, though.
  4. MrTaff

MrTaff

Inspired by the Thunderbird, but clearly not a Thunderbird.

The old Phoenix looks more like a Thunderbird,

[​IMG]
  5. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

They are distinguishable, but share design similarities. You are both part right, and part wrong.
  6. wvbass

wvbass

Pretty much any bass with a raised center block is Thunderbird-inspired. Having said that, the new ESP is a pretty big departure from the traditional Thunderbird.

Not worth a heated argument, regardless.
  7. JonDark

JonDark

Playing Devil's Advocate here.

"He said the ESP stream looks similar to a Gibson thunderbird"

"I said it does not and both are distinguishable"

Consider it correct on both accounts and call it even :D
  8. Tracegun

Tracegun

Should've clarified, which one do you feel more strongly about.

EDIT- My friend said they look similar because of the offset. I reckon they don't because of the single cutaway.
    BTW we argue for fun
  9. awilkie84

awilkie84

It's the Salvador Dali Thunderbird. It's been melted like his clocks.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I voted with your friend. While I agree with you, I just think he'll enjoy the victory more since you started the poll. ;)
  11. wvbass

wvbass

Have an anime artist draw a picture of a Thunderbird. I bet they'll draw a Stream.
  12. thunderbird66

thunderbird66

Thunderbird and RD by way of Iceman.
  13. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

More like an Ibanez Iceman, which is like the Thunderbird.

But I would never get the Thunderbird and Stream confused, at any distance I could actually see.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

If two things resemble one another they are similar. If two things cannot be distinguished from each other, then they are identical. The Stream and the Phoenix clearly are both similar to the Thunderbird. There are many points at which each resembles the others. But it is easy to tell one from the other so they are similar but not identical. I think you and your friend disagree on the definition of "similar" and your friend is right! Your poll is meaningless since people who believe they are similar could answer either way. To really get to the answer the second choice should be "No, they do not resemble each other at all." If those were the only two choices then I suspect even you would have to vote yes.
  15. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Ok, let's break it down...
    Headstock shape similar - nope
    Tuner layout similar - nope
    Fret markers similar - nope
    Number of frets the same - nope
    Upper horn similar - yes
    Upper bout similar - nope
    Lower bout similar - nope
    Lower horn similar - nope
    Pick guard similar - nope
    Control layout similar look - nope
    Raised center section similar - nope
    Pickups similar look - yes
    Any chance of Gibson winning a lawsuit over this - nope

Thus my vote is - clearly a Gibson Thunderbird wannabe but not even close enough for a cigar.

There are a lot of basses out there that look much closer to the Gibson Thunderbird (Epiphone, Cataldo, Lull...). Heck I think my Spector Rex5 looks closer to a thunderbird than the ESP.
  16. xAzure

xAzure

I am the friend who said they were similar to clarify, this is part of our conversation:

Me: "it looks like a firebird" (I meant the thunderbird bass, mistake on my part but we were talking about body shape so theyre technically the same)
    Tracegun: "the stream looks nothing like a firebird"
    Me: "its just more rounded and has a bottom cutaway"
    Tracegun: "iunno man they pretty distinguishable"

later on in the conversation:
    Tracegun: "the argument from the start was that the esp stream does not look like a firebird"

Then the conversation went places I'm sure my friend would prefer me not mention.
    I think Tracegun might have meant distinguishable as in the are completely different styles.
  17. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

They are similar and distinguishable, but I voted similar, because if I saw the ESP bass, I'd say it was a rip off of a Thunderbird.

The word distinguishable is really ruining this poll. There's no way any person wouldn't be able to tell them apart, even if that person was blind.
  18. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Would I be confused as to which I was looking at? No. Is the one clearly influenced by the other? Yes, just as the ESP Viper is clearly influenced by the Gibson SG.
  19. catgut

catgut

Thunderbird is sexy. The ESP looks like a shrinky dink after-burn. Someone decided to try and emulate and possibly 'fix' some TB playability (boo I can't solo with it). But TB's are best for aggressive quarter note pick peddling. It isn't a jazz choice. Getting into the middle offends the classic. I noticed immediately I would notice in a dark room. One is really sad looking while the other is pure biker face punch. I do like the ESP LTD that was posted. Just freakin' straight rip it off to pull it off. Works for Gibsons and Fenders.
  20. Tracegun

Tracegun

Alright, lets put it this way. The Telecaster and Stratocaster, two of the most iconic guitars in the past century as we now know today are not similar. You look at one you can tell whether which one is which. They are similar in the aspect of the lower body of the guitar (put vertically) and lower horn. You can see some resemblance between the strat and tele body but thats where it stops.
    My friend says the stream "looks like a firebird(thunderbird)" which to me is like saying a strat looks like a tele. There are some design elements in the body but the similarities stop at the left side of the body.
    Keywords here is "looks like a firebird" that's why I said they are distinguishable.