1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pollmann Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by zachnichols, Nov 1, 2013.

1. zachnichols

zachnichols

Does anyone have any opinions on Pollmann (Poellman) basses? I'm looking into purchasing a 1969 Gamba model.
    I've heard many great things about these, but please fill me in on any information you know.

-Zach

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    How does it sound?

3. Lo-E

Lo-E

My teacher has a '74 that is a really, really nice instrument. He is not really an arco player, and neither am I so I can't speak for bowing, but it sounds and plays great for pizz.

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Have it checked, if possible, for white glue construction. Probably wouldn't want that. My understanding is that white glue was used in P basses from that era. Don't know to what extent. Not used in the current basses by the Kramers, AFAIK.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. zachnichols

zachnichols

It sounds great both for arco and pizz.

7. Edvin

Edvin

Pöllmann do make great instruments to have for vacant's at a concert hall. Every Pöllmann is pretty much exactly the same in feel and sound. They are tanks and they won't be sounding bad.
    In my opinion, they won't sound GREAT either. They are as we in sweden say, "lagom".
    Nothing dissapointing and nothing excitingly good.
    There are exceptions, though. I've heard that Pöllmans from the 60's era (which concerns you) have a few wonderful instruments.

Many great players work on Pöllmanns, so you will definitely be able to play good music on a Pöllmann.

Don't choose anything by brand!
    Good luck!

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Then I don't understand the question.