1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Polytone Works rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by armywalaby, Sep 3, 2013.

1. armywalaby

armywalaby

2. elgecko

elgecko

Now THAT'S different! I've never seen one before.
  3. fretlessman71

fretlessman71

Looks amazing! Wonder what the wattage is (almost positive it's solid state). Would love to hear it.
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I tried speaking to it but it just seemed to ignore my efforts.
  5. Personatech

Personatech

Holy cow - is that 2 15s and 4 8s!!?? Gotta love it! Polytones have an excellent rep - Carol Kaye swears by them, apparently.
  6. fretlessman71

fretlessman71

Carol Kaye just plain swears. A lot. :D
  7. armywalaby

armywalaby

Played through it today. The head I didn't care for but when I put a markbass little tube 800 on it that cabinet SANG! Trying to get into it for $400 or less.
  8. liam_g

liam_g Supporting Member

I love Polytones. Played a Teeny Brute for small gigs and recording for a few years, until it had some electronic problems. Some components were no longer available, so it was trashed. I miss it!

Liam
  9. fretlessman71

fretlessman71

What didn't you like about the Polytone head? Just a boring sounding head? My experience with the combos is that they're really warm sounding in a non-tubey sort of way...
  10. armywalaby

armywalaby

Only bass/treble control. I'm a mid junkie as well as tube and the head with it just didn't provide the tone sculpting I desire.
  11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Sad you did that Liam. Any amp can be repaired and obsolete parts replaced with modern substitutes.
  12. liam_g

liam_g Supporting Member

Maybe i needed a different tech then. He said it was unrepairable. Sad, I miss that amp. Recorded two albums with it when I played with a great fingerstyle guitarist named Peter Spencer in the Seattle area. One studio and one live.

Liam
  13. fretlessman71

fretlessman71

I had a Polytone MiniBrute. Used it for teaching at a music store. Big flood in town one night and the whole thing was soaked in crapwater for two days. Nothing worth salvaging. Still miss it...