1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Polytope vs Rainbow Machine

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dlenaghan, Feb 10, 2013.

1. dlenaghan

dlenaghan Supporting Member

I'm trying to setup a piecemeal stand-in for the HOG I no longer have, and I want to pair a pitch sifter with either the Earthquaker Organizer or possible a POG. The Rainbow Machine sounds really nice, especially with the 'magic' function, which seems like a random/tracked oscillation mode judging by the sound. Then there's the Iron Ether Polytope -

My intention is to get a chorus or harmonies behind the bass - I do a lot of solo instrumental looping, so controlling the pitch intervals is crucial, but I like a bit of chaos as well. There's a link in my sig to Monophone, the project, if you want a more defined example of what I'm after.

Anyone had a chance to put the Polytope against the Rainbow Machine, or to pit the Organizer against the Pog? (Pricewise it seems the pair would be RM and Organizer, greatest flexibility would be Pog with .. Rainbow Machine?)

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
  2. macburn

macburn

I have both the Polytope and a POG2.
    For the Polytope, think of a synth with many detuned oscillators. It won't make chords.
    The Rainbow Machine, IIRC, is sequencing the sounds. (pitch intervals).
    For the POG vs the Organizer, I think the big difference is in the warbling sound the Organizer does.
  3. dlenaghan

dlenaghan Supporting Member

Gotcha! I think that tells me what I needed to know. Now it's a choice between some incarnation of the Pog and combine it with the Rainbow Machine.

In other news, why don't gear demos go further..