Polytune iPhone app A+

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Direct Box Rox, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox

I just downloaded the TC Electronic Polytune app (which is the app version of their Polytune pedal). Awesome - works like a champ in chromatic & polytune mode. Includes drop tuning capabilities as well. It's a no brainer for $4.00. I believe the actual stomp box version is around $70. There is no lag regarding response time. Its near instant. Only tuner you should ever need.
  2. Dazonbass

Dazonbass

I got a few free tuner apps. If they don't work well I will give this a shot.
  3. wabbit

wabbit

I am not so crazy about tuners that work with a microphone input unless you are by yourself in a quiet room. At band rehearsal, it would just be a bit of a pain to get everyone, especially the drummer, to shut up for 2 minutes. Hell, I'd be amazed if I could get quiet for two seconds.

But, for tuning at home in a quiet room, does the bass need to be amplified? If not, how close to your axe does your phone need to be?
  4. Etienned

Etienned

I use Cleartune on my iOS. At band rehearsals, I can simply lay my device on the cab and it tracks my pitch, even if everyone is playing something else.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox

The app/tuner works perfect with the built in mic. This tuner made the other 3 tuner apps I had on my phone look like garbage. So glad I discovered this $4 secret last night.
  7. wabbit

wabbit

Maybe you missed my question?
  8. Etienned

Etienned

Cleartune can track my 5er (B) at about 1m if I'm n a quiet room.
  9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

the poly app is decent, and if you set it to "stream" rather than "needle" you get the touted .5 cents accuracy, but it's got nothing on the peterson istrobosoft app.

the peterson app is by far the best iphone tuner out there, and it's still only $10.
  10. wabbit

wabbit

Does it work well with the iPhone mic and the input boost activated? I found that without my bass plugged in, the Cleartune didn't track my low E string very well. It picked up the 12th fret harmonic just fine but that's not really what I want/need. I bought the Strobosoft software for my computers (love it) and would love to have this for my iPhone, but only if it works of course.
  11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i just now tested it with my P-bass, the iphone sitting on my computer desk and the bass plucked unamplified a foot or so away.

it tracked everything just fine.

i then rested the body against the desk and tried tuning the E down; in this case, it followed the string all the way down to A (below a 5-string low B)!
  12. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I've used this app for over a year now, and it really is one of the best tuners out there for iOS.
    It also works with Irig so if you're using an Irig adapter so you can play through amp sims on your iPad/iPhone, it'll work even better!!
    It does NOT work with 30-pin input, as some Apogee Jam users have reported.

Still, an awesome tuner app!!