Polytune or equivalent 1/2 step down

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mosfed, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

Hi guys

Not sure where to put this but since it's a stomp box, I figured it was ok here.

I am pretty much sick of using clip on tuners for bass for their constant inability to read the low e string. So I am thinking of a polytune or something similar.

But here's the issue - my band tunes 1/2 step down as it works better for our singer. Is there a way to tell the polytune this and have it read accurately?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

The polytune is chromatic so it shows you the notes played. The polytune feature only works in standard or drop D, and even then it is not optimal for bass though it does work.

3. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

The Polytune should read whatever note you give it. I've heard it gets less accurate the lower you go (and I mean low B range rather than E-flat, for example).

4. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

I get that it would work one note at a time, but I guess I am reading that it won't work in polytune mode? Does anyone make something similar that can be "programmed"?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I do not think so. Have you used a polytune with bass? I find the feature to still be relatively useless for anything more than a quick check of tuning. Actually tuning using the polytune method is rather cumbersome.

7. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

+1. Not really ideal for bass and not much faster (if at all) than tuning one string at a time.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

It will accurately read whatever note you give it. If you want to tune to D#, it will show D#. Works like a champ!

9. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

You might try the Hardwire polyphonic tuner, I'm pretty sure it can do alternate tunings in polyphonic mode, plus it's (IMO) a better tuner than the Polytunes.

10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

The TC Electronics Polytune already reads accurately. For example on a 4 string bass, the E string downed tuned a half step reads and displays D# and that's the same tone as Eb - so its accurate. So just tune D#, G#, C#, F# which is the same tones as Eb, Ab, Db, Gb.

11. alec

alec

Do you mean you want it to show E when it hears Eb?

12. sunbeast

I just checked my Polytune and it can indeed do this. There is a little button on the top right of the pedal that lets you scroll through a list of common tunings and Eflat is one. That is what my band plays in as well, though I only ever use chromatic mode as I mentioned earlier. Chromatic really is just as fast as poly on a bass and more accurate in my experience.

13. sunbeast

I'm curious what you prefer about the Hardwire? I thought their accuracy was pretty comparable...do you prefer the display?

14. el murdoque

el murdoque

I tried the TC poly and the Korg Pitchblack and Pitchblack Poly.
    I went for the Pitchblack (without the poly) because i could not see the advantage in the poly thing since i tune one string at a time at the beginning and my bass keeps the tune for the whole gig if there is no solid change in room temperature.

The tracking is super fast even with the low B on my fiver and this has been a huge step up from my clipon tuner.

In rehearsal during winter, it's really cold when we start. As soon as i can take my thick sweater off, i quickly check my tuning and in 90% it still fits.

15. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Pitchblack can't even track my E (doublebass) very well and to boot you can't change the tuning of it. Mine is several cents out from most of my other tuners at its supposed A440. I'm addicted to tuners, I have several different kinds. Most are at least close to true A440.

There is no way to recalibrate the A440 on my pitchblack, so I don't even use it anymore, it's that far out. I either use a clip-on Snarky style tuner or my M5's tuner, which are closer to my bandmates' tuners' "A440".

16. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

+1

I don't own it, but I was looking into it at one point, and I think this is true.

17. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Mine sure wasn't. It was much slower and didn't track the B string as well. Plus it's HUGE. Mine went back in favor of a Polytune 2.

18. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hmm. That's a bummer and strange because both my KORG Pitchblack and TC Electronics Polytune "Mini" match up and they're both in tune with my KORG TR-6 keyboards too. You must have gotten a defective PB. I recommend returning it and either replacing it with a new one or getting your money back.

19. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

Your Pitchblack must be defective ..... mine is accurate & tunes the same as other tuners I have as well as my Guitar players TC Electronics Polytune.

Never had trouble with tuning drop D

20. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I have 4 different tuners right now . I always go back to the korg rack. It tracks low b the best. Even tracks low f# strings. The way i have things routed i can't tune silently(i run tuner out on amp or on my sans amp RBI the 1/4 dry out to the korg. It solves any tone suck issues but doesn't allow you to tune silently. But in all honesty that doesn't matter at all because it tracks fast enough i generally just keep an eye on it and if i need to i make a small adjustment while I'm playing i can. They aren't that great if your just starting out but if you know what notes your playing you can actually make those small adjustments while playing. If the bass has major tuning issues and goes out of tune really bad i would look into that first.

21. mpm32

mpm32

I looked at the polytune but settled on the Boss TU-3. You can set it to tune 1/2 step down and it keeps the setting even when the tuner is off and if you change the batteries. You can see the display easily on dark stages and in sunlight.