1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Polyurethane clear gloss finish on the neck(not fretboard)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassist22, May 24, 2007.

1. bassist22

bassist22

Hi
    I bought a Mighty Mite neck and i think it come with like a satin finish or something?
    I like the feel of the satin but for further intrest towards my neck should i apply some polyurethane on the neck? headstock to heel?
    Any mighty mite jazz bass neck users out there had problems with the neck using it straight out of the box with no finish?
    If i should apply the polyurethane, what do i apply it with? how much? how many coats? Should i put some on my fretboard?
    Do you think that i should put boiled linseed oil on the rosewood fret board? its looking kind of dry...
    how should i apply and how much.
    Thanks in advance

2. ehque

ehque

satin finish =/= no finish.

3. pkr2

pkr2

What, exactly, are you attempting to say?????

4. ehque

ehque

the OP looks like he's asking about protecting his mighty mite neck with a few coats of poly gloss.

I was just saying that, simply because it felt satin didn't mean it wasn't finished, and since he liked the feel, he should just leave it alone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 62bass

62bass

It probably has an oiled finish, if any. Check with Mighty Mite. I haven't used their necks. If it's an oiled finish it will provide some waterproofing qualities to the neck. You can coat it with polyurethane for more protection if you want, or, if it's not finished at all. I'd definitely want to protect it more.

The easiest product to use is Minwax Wipe On Polyurethane, available in Home Depopt and many other stores. It's applied with a cloth, not a brush, so it's dead simple to do. A pint or so can costs about $12. It's available in satin or gloss. I prefer gloss because it dries a little tougher. If you want to get rid of the gloss, wait for 3 days or more after the last coat has dried and rub it to satin with 0000steel wool or a Scotch Brite pad. That'll make it feel slicker to your hand.

It dries pretty fast and if the temperature is above 72F you can easily apply 2 coats a day. I use up to 6 coats on unfinished wood.