1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Polyurethane scratch repair

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by progeny, Apr 8, 2014.

1. progeny

progeny

I was doing some mods to my Squier VM jazz V and scratched the finish. It doesn't look to bad since the guitar is white, but it is annoying to me just knowing that the scratch is there. Are there any products that might repair the clear coat finish? Any suggestions would be really great. I'm just starting to get into bass modding.

2. Mahataru

Mahataru

The only way to get a scratch out of poly is to sand and buff it out. Depending on the depth of the scratch you may have to start with 400 or 600 grit and work you way up to 1500 or 2000 grit. I've never heard of hand buffing poly so you may want to look into getting a hand held automotive buffer.

3. Canadian APII

Canadian APII

Sanding is the way to go if the scratch is small. If it is deep flowing crazy glue into it is the way to go. Use a #12 exacto blade to guide the ca into the scratch. Let it dry for a day or two then take a razor blade and wrap clear tape over the sharp end of the blade leaving a scraping area just larger than the scratch. Carefully scrape most of the ca off. Next sand and polish. The repair should be invisible.