Poor sustain higher-end of fretboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by taylor16, Mar 9, 2014.

1. taylor16

taylor16 Thank you, Mr. Miner. Supporting Member

Something that has always bother me is why my Lakland Darryl Jones 5 has relatively poor sustain across all strings in the higher-end of the fretboard - something that I don't experience with Lull or Sadowsky? Set-up is fine, it seems to me... Any suggestions?
  2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Get rid of the Lakland, or use a compressor with it to add more sustain.
  3. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Only a few things that can cause this; 1. The bass resonating at the same frequencies as all notes you are playing at the higher end of the fretboard and soaking up the vibration of every string (totally unlikely) 2. Something muting the strings, like your playing technique (pretty unlikely). 3. strings (could be). 4. Pickup too close to the strings when fretted up high (very possible)

The "too close" pickup is most likely unless you have some funky strings. Setup can seem pretty great until putting strings to fingerboard up at the body. That gets the strings down into the magnetic field and it can kill vibration. ALL strings with no sustain really point to that. All you have to do to check is lower the pup a little and try it.
  4. SlappyWhite

SlappyWhite Banned

Does the Lakland have a maple fretboard, while the other's are rosewood?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. taylor16

taylor16 Thank you, Mr. Miner. Supporting Member

It's got a RW fretboard. I'll lower the pups and see how it is. Currently string with DR Hi-Beams (relatively new).
  7. lz4005

lz4005

I was going to suggest lowering the pickups as well.
    That's one of the few things that can impact all the strings on the highest frets the way you're describing.