Popped my building cherry.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Smit_Dogg, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

Hello,

Just thought I'd share this with Talk bass as it seems a relevant subject for fellow bass enthusiasts like myself . I recently decided to take the first steps to building my own Precision bass... I bought all the parts over the space of four months and over the last weekend I started putting it all together. There were a lot of cock ups, mistakes to learn from and hurdles to pass.. but I managed to finish it with my head held high. It took me a hell of a lot of hours over the space of a three days but it was worth it.

Here are the specs:

~ Fender MIM tobacco sunburst body.
    ~ Mighty Mite Fender-licensed Precision 70s neck
    ~ Schaller Tuners.
    ~ Allparts tortoise shell pick guard.
    ~ Hipshot A style Brass Bridge.
    ~ Fender neck plate.
    ~ Fender strap buttons.
    ~ a '58 split coil Precision pickup handwound by The Creamery.
    ~ 1meg volume pot.
    ~ Tonestyler tone pot.

Playability wise it's great, it is nice and heavy, just the way I like basses to be , sound wise it is a lot brighter /punchier than I expected, even when using D'Addario Chromes, But it still has that meaty low end presence. The pickups by The Creamery will be testament to that. .

I've put a picture of the new arrival in her trolley as you may be able to see... She can certainly rumble lol

Attached Files:

2. boogie88

boogie88

Congratulations, looks great!

3. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

Nice bolt up sir...

vasilio likes this.
  4. JamesFoxBass

JamesFoxBass

Don't want to risk bumping a dead thread, but your pickups by the Creamery, what sort of tone do they give? I'm after some new pickups for my MIM Maple Neck P, I'm wanting a more even and less harsh tone than the stock pickups give, something more classic/vintage but able to go from wet and bass-y to more growly with a twist of the tone pot.

Thanks!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

Hello JamesFoxBass,

I'm more than happy with mine . Jaime is a bit of an electronics wizard, he creates works of art. Check out The Creamery website www.creamery-pickups.co.uk and read the specs on the pickups Jaime provides. The '58 I have is probably the most universal one, high output, masses of thick authorative old school low end with a punchy high end response. It is quite growly with the tone pot fully open.