1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Popped my building cherry.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Smit_Dogg, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

Hello fellow TB'ers,

I thought I'd share this info with you as it seems the relevant place to talk about my recent project.

After a decade of playing bass, I'd say in the last year or so I've become more and more interested in bass electronics, the wood works and building side things. So during this summer I decided I wanted to make my very own P-Bass. first off I did plenty of research on parts and tips on the build and I've been buying a few parts each month until I had everything. Eventually I decided on these parts:

- Fender MIM tobacco sunburst body.
    - Fender licensed Mighty Mite 70's P-Bass neck.
    - Schaller BMFLC 547 tuners.
    - Fender neck plate.
    - Fender strap buttons.
    - Allparts tortoise shell pick guard.
    - a '58 split coil P-Bass pickup handwound by The Creamery
    - Hipshot A style Bridge (chrome)
    - A Stellartone ToneStyler tone pot (10 position)
    - A 1meg volume pot.

By late November it was time to get cracking, the project didn't run too smoothly to start with it had its mishaps and mistakes to learn from but I gritted down and get things to how I wanted them to be and the result was very positive and satisfying. I think I put around £650 into the project (around $1050).

Sound wise it's surprisingly very bright with the tone pot in the more open positions, and that's with using flats , which I wasn't expecting. It also has that motowny sub low end rumble with controlled definition when rolling the tone off. All I can say is, is its a very versatile sounding bass and with no doubt I owe a lot of that to the pickup and tone styler which I consider to be the main ingredients to its uniqueness ..

The only thing I had to modify slightly were the tuners. I bought the size too small for the pre drilled holes in the Head. The place I bought them from didn't have the required size and these were the specific brand/tpe ones I wanted, so I bought some polyurethane epoxy putty and stuck them into place! Thankfully It's held like cement!!

I hope the picture I tried uploading has been added to this post, I'm not too clued up on the mobile phone interface of this site,

Matt
  2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Unfortunately, it has not. I really wanted to see it too! :crying:

Congratulations on a successful first build. I went into a bit of detail about my mishaps in my thread about my Carvin kit build (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/embarrassing-true-story-my-carvin-kit-bass-1029920/). But I think in the spring I'm going to try my hand again, this time with a cheaper (and easier) kit. I've got my eye on this: http://www.amazon.com/Saga-JB-11-J-...=UTF8&qid=1385237146&sr=8-8&keywords=bass kit
  3. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

Pictures are always a plus!
  4. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

Eric,

There's a pic of this bass in this luthier section of a thread I thought didn't upload from yesterday. It has the same title subject as this one.. I've been using the mobile app version of talk bass lately and I'm still not very fluent with it yet, sorry

Matt
  5. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Looks good Matt! Like a lot of TBers, I'm a sucka for a P with burst and tort. :cool: