Pork Loin Demo Request

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zwkoch, Dec 2, 2013.

1. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I know this pedal gets a lot of accolades and my curiosity is peaked. The one YouTube demo is pretty weak and shows more of the bassist's slap chops than the pedal's capabilities. For those that have the time, could you please post some clips? I don't have time to toy around with one at GC. Many thanks!
  2. socialleper

socialleper

I don't have any clips handy, but I do use one as my "always on" dirt pedal. They are pretty subtle, not at all like a ODB3, B3K or BDDI. I tweaked around with the internal pots a little, but I think I left them pretty much where they were when I bought it. Its also a really well built pedal. The Pork Loin is a good way to get some nice warm tube grit on your sound.
  3. zwkoch

That is the setup I am after. I love my medium-high gain OD from the OFD and Crossover Distortion. Need really subtle low gain OD that isn't too fizzy or buzzy.
  4. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

The Pork Loin is perfect for that. It's a much darker tone than most other overdrives. It doesn't compress like a tube type overdrive, it just fills out your bass with a thick, lush sound. Think of it sort of like the way the TFR fills out the low end without giving a cutting type sound, only it's less fuzzy. :)

I have an unmixed tune from a recent recording session where I used the Pork Loin. I'll try to upload it to soundcloud tonight and post it here.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. zwkoch

Thank you very much.
  7. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

If the PL is catching your attention, then be sure you also consider the Fairfield Barbershop. After getting a Barbershop, my Pork Loin was immediately up for sale.

I have no first hand experience with it, but I also enjoy the sound of clips of the Dark Driving. It's in the same tonal zone.
  8. jumblemind

Ah, found it on my local machine. Like I said, unmixed, but you should be able to get something out of it. Recording was 75 P bass (treble rolled all the way off...I like it dark) > Pork Loin > mic'd MicroVR/210AV.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  9. zwkoch

Fantastic! That is the kind of breakup I am looking for. Thank you very much. If the Dark Driving is able to cop that tone, I'd rather give Ryan at Fuzzrocious my business. I will have to give him a call.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  10. jumblemind

Sweet, no problem. Let me know what he says. I've definitely been wanting to try one (I'd prefer a smaller footprint like the original run). But the clips on the site sound like it compresses like a lot of ODs, and Ryan's stuff tends more toward the raucous. The tame and the lack of full on compression is what I dig about the Pork Loin.
  11. zwkoch

Yea, the online clips of the DD are not impressive. Ryan plays pretty hard and the recordings were made with the old single pot version. I am waiting to see if the new version can be a little more open.
  12. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

13. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The pork loin is definitely a great pedal. If you are in the market for a great tubey overdrive that can either be subtle or more aggressive, I highly recommend it as well as the Fairfield Barbershop. Since I got the Barbershop, it has knocked the Pork Loin out of the "most used position". But, I will not sell the Pork loin, it's just too nice of a pedal and can do stuff that the Barbershop cannot do, and vice versa. The other similar OD I really like is the SFX Micro Red Dragon. However, the SFX is much more subtle.

johnk has amazing ODs on his page as well. Including some original designs.
  14. caligula

caligula

You've done a YT search and didn't find this clip?
    It's by a fellowTBer and has some great sounds.