Pork Loin vs MXR M89

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Frank77, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Frank77

Frank77

Media:
    Albums:
    Does anyone have experience with both?

I'm looking for an OD pedal to complete my board. From the demos I've heard, both sound pretty good and I'm not entirely sure which one to go with.

Again, from the demos I've heard it seems to me like the Pork Loin is more tweakable and able to get more subtle levels of drive, while the MXR can get somewhat nastier...right? I'm leaning more towards the PL at the moment, but would like to hear some comments from folks who have used both.

I play a G&L L-2500 with a maple fingerboard, through a very transparent amp (PJB Suitcase), and I play fingerstyle only.

Thanks!
  2. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

3. Frank77

Frank77

Media:
    Albums:
  4. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

No prob. Make sure you take some time getting familiar w/ the controls, it took me a little fiddling to find the right balance of the volume, clean and overdrive knobs. Totally worth it because this pedal really shines in a live mix. Enjoy!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I didnt own the MXR, but I had a pork loin for a while (and also have a G&L L2500 with maple board) and the pork loin was awesome. I only sold it because I bought an SVT and can get that vibe with my amp.
  7. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows Supporting Member

i'll second rmars, and say that because there are so many knobs, especially when taking into account the internal trim pots, that the pork loin can take a while to dial in. Its well worth the effort though, and it does the low gain, touch sensitive OD thing very very well on bass with no low end loss.
  8. Frank77

Frank77

Media:
    Albums:
    Wow! I just played around with my just-purchased PL for about an hour, and I must say what a fantastic little stompbox!

I had some issues at first with the clean preamp tone - I guess that even in passive mode my L-2500's pickups are a little too hot for the PL's liking, so I to turned the bass boost knob all the way down on my bass to prevent some nasty clipping (still plenty of low - plus I can still crank the lows at the amp with no clipping, obviously).

I fidgeted a bit with the internal trim pots, and ended up turning down the drive mix pot to about halfway to tame the OD a little, I left everything else as per factory defaults. Once this was set, it was unbelievably easy to get exactly the amount of saturation I wanted. My band has a song where OD could definitely sound good, so I'll give it a try at rehearsal thursday.