1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

portable recording devices

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Precision345, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Precision345

Precision345

2. tbear1776

tbear1776

I have an older version of the H4n and have had good results. Decent sound and fairly easy to use.

3. jtz

jtz

tbear is right since zoom released a new once recently you can pick up an H4n for dirt cheap and i cant imagine anything sounding better than the D/A conversion on the h4n; plus the impedence line input is around 400 ohms, which fits perfectly with most bass guitar DI boxes and is hard to find on other recording interfaces; it feels like those xrl/trs inputs were meant for Direct Injection because of the low impedence load;

4. lowdown_billy

lowdown_billy Supporting Member

I saw some $400-500 recorders on your list. In that price range, I'm a big fan of the Zoom R16/R24 multitrack recorders.

Zoom Multi-Track Recorders

I've owned both the R16 and R24. (Never had the R8.) You can use them as USB computer audio interfaces as well as recorder. I've also used my R24 as a control surface for Reaper running on my laptop.

The built-in mics are great for capturing the sound of a practice room, but I have everyone DI into the Zoom (our drummer uses V-Drums, so this works for him, too) for rehearsal recordings. Then I pull the SD storage card out of the R24 and stick it in my laptop and port the tracks into Reaper.

Then I do quick mixes for each member in a "-1" (everybody except them) format for playalong practice, and another with their part boosted so they (we) can hear the awful truth about what they played, as well as the standard everyone in appropriate balance.

With the Zoom and Reaper, I can do this all in about 30 minutes (these are rough mixes, right?) It's really helpful.

Just something to think about.

5. Register to disable this ad