Portable rig for a metal band?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Shaerah56, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Shaerah56

Shaerah56 Supporting Member

First off, just want to say this place is great. So much good discussion and info.

I'm starting out in bass. I've got a possibility to get into a band. I'm curious as to some recommendations for a small head and light cab, preferably on the less expensive side to start with. If there's already a thread on this I missed, feel free to point me there. I know there's lots of discussion about micro heads and whatnot but haven't seen much in regards to metal. I'd prefer head/cab because if I don't need the cab I can just carry the bass and head in 1 or 2 bags.
    I do have a Skyhammer preamp pedal, would it maybe be better to just get a power amp like the Stealth and a cab? This would be for practice and gigs. I'm not sure on the size of gig but I'd guess small to medium clubs.
    Music places around here don't seem to stock a whole lot so I don't have all that many options for testing locally, though I will if I can.

Thanks!

2. joedownunder

joedownunder Supporting Member

You need a 4x10 cab. I have the cheapest peavy head called the headliner and its plenty loud

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Nothing portable about a cheap 4x10.

Define cheap. Used is always the way to go to get loud with little money. Up in the GWN Traynor is your goto, and Peavey as always.

I'd be looking for a pair of 2x10 and some bandmates with volume control.

4. Shaerah56

Am hoping around $800 or so for amp and cabs. Would a PF350 and a couple 210AV cabs do it? If not an RH450?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Demo69

Demo69

GK 700rb-ll, Ampeg SVT410he. A combination made to cut through in a metal setting. :)

7. Shaerah56

Thanks. I'm going to watch a jam this weekend, see what this particular band is like, go from there. Will keep eyes out for the suggestions.

8. The Nameless

The Nameless

There's a perfect, inexpensive rig in the classifieds now. A Peavey Tour 700w amp an two Avatar 212s. $650? $700? Somethin like that... I play very heavy styles, very hard, an have fer a long time. I currently play an Eden rig w/a 215 cab. But saw this rig an know it is WAY capable... Jussa thot.

9. Shaerah56

Took a look. Sure wouldn't mind that rig. Even if he was willing to ship though I'm sure it'd hit 1100 with fees. Which isn't bad, but I'd have to save for a while.

10. Sartori

Sartori

Depending on that preamp's output (I've heard great things about the Skyhammer pre... I think basically all of Lumbar's record was through that), you could use just a power amp, yeah.

For portable meets loud, I would advise a setup consisting of that and two 2x12 cabs, stacked vertically.

mbelue likes this.
  11. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I run a sans amp RBI pre amp with a cheap crown amp bridged into an ampeg 410he. Sans amps work great direct for rock and metal. Power and cabs are really about what the rest of the band is using. My guitar players used to use 100w all tube amps with 412 cabs in that situation an 810 is almost a requirement. These days they are using 212 rigs and the 410 works nicely. Signal to foh is from the xlr on the sans amp so the cab is more about what i need to hear myself onstage.

12. levis76

levis76

I use a Mesa BB750 and a 4ohm 212 cab. Gets me everywhere I need to go.

13. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I run a sans amp RBI pre amp with a cheap crown amp bridged into an ampeg 410he. Sans amps work great direct for rock and metal. Power and cabs are really about what the rest of the band is using. My guitar players used to use 100w all tube amps with 412 cabs in that situation an 810 is almost a requirement. These days they are using 212 rigs and the 410 works nicely. Signal to foh is from the xlr on the sans amp so the cab is more about what i need to hear myself onstage.

14. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Find out what output your preamp makes. If you can get away with a power amp you can get massive bang for buck that way.

Then you might go for a home build pair of vertical 2x12. Eminence Beta12 are cheap and four brings the thunder.

15. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

GK MB200. Then some GK Neo Cabs of your preference. Done. MB500 if you need more power.

16. imdkoz

imdkoz

RH450 and 2 RS212 cabs. Can fit in a Scion xA with 2 basses, pedal board and accessories. Start out with one cab and add the 2nd when possible. Buy used, I got a great deal that way.

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    I'd go for more watts than the PF-350. I had one, liked it, but was not impressed by the volume level I could get. The power amp idea is cool, but lead sleds are 45 lbs.

How about a used GB Shuttle 6.n, PF-800, or a GK MB800? I like the 2x210 cab idea. I have found it effective. If you really want loud thunder in a small package, look into some of the fEARful cabs. DIY or used is cheap for the performance, weight is acceptable, and sound is full-range and friggin' loud. :cool:

18. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Had to look up the Skyhammer and Stealth. Those are designed for twangers (little 6 string guitars). The Skyhammer preamp might sound good for a bass, but you'll need a true power amp (Stealth's 180 watts :ninja:) to drive low freq through woofers. Good news is that power amps are cheaper relative to power per dollar compared to a bass head, and more stores carry them. If you have a pre amp with which you can get your toneĀ… then Yes, get a power amp (Crown,QSC,Peavey). Then you can test cabs. :cool:

happy gassing,
    fnord!

19. The Nameless

The Nameless

Oh, dag nabbit! The dreaded, an apparently expensive, borders... Well, even if it isn't THAT rig, it illustrates that if yer patient, a deal can be had. All the suggestions here are good. I have seen other very powerful rigs under 800. If you study a bit; cab efficiency, what others are using, both successfully an not successfully, eq capabilities, etc, you'll find it isn't always watts, or expense, that determines loud. My rig is 300w into a 215. It is loud beyond! But more importantly? Loud enuff... But don let me stop the fun. In todays market, 1000w or better power amps, older but great preamps, are to be had at pretty inexpensive levels. A lot of great gear out there. Have fun. An try it all! :) An I can't believe how much it is ta get somethin up to ya. Ridiculous...

20. Shaerah56

The border is very frustrating. Can be difficult to get hands on gear up here. But lots of good suggestions. Going to start calling around today for used gear. Saw a Traynor for sale, but it was 80 pounds. I'm not quite that strong.
    Thanks for the help thus far. Open to any other suggestions as I've given up controlling my GAS. There's just no point.

21. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    GK Neo 212 and a 700RB could be picked up for under $800 used.