portaflex dollies question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lexington125, Sep 12, 2013.

1. lexington125

lexington125

I've had a very early SB12 for almost thirty years and I can honestly say that this is my desert island amp - if I was limited to one, this would be it (even if its not practical for loud use)

the amp did not come with the dolly / casters and as I get older, the amp gets heavier. I've noticed that at least two of the vendors that are linked to Portaflex websites offer repro dollies. My concern is that my cab has no holes or hardware to attach to a dolly. How ugly is the necessary surgery?

Is this one of those good ideas that I'll later regret? (why did I drill holes in my cabinet !?) Am I better off just using a handcart?

2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    If it were me, I'd rather just DIY myself a nice looking dolly it could sit in rather than bolt on. Functional and no molesting of the amp.

3. P Town

P Town Guest

I would be reluctant to drill holes in any of my elderly Ampeg stuff.

4. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    Normally there would be a t-nut installed on the bottom of the cabinet (technically it's a long-flange slab base weld nut) and a rubber disc glued to the inside bottom of the cabinet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rubber disc seals the 5/16" through hole that is drilled in the center of the bottom of the cabinet and the t-nut is attached using 2 screws.

I don't play out so my amps never leave my house, so I'll defer to others as to what option may be a better solution for transport. Certainly a hand cart or DIY dolly would be cheaper than going with a repro dolly and would keep you from adding holes to your vintage cabinet.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    A single bolt in the center holding the dolly on?

If I'm understanding this correctly, that thing is going to get bent up and ripped out in no time, taking some of the cabinets bottom panel along with it.

If I'm not understanding it correctly and there are 4 of those things out on the corners, then I'd be inclined to mod the cabinet to accept them.

If it really is a single, I'd rather make myself a dolly the amp could sit in for transportation, finish it nicely, and then at the gig, take the amp off the dolly and sit it on the floor or just leave it on the dolly.

7. P Town

P Town Guest

My 1963 B-15 has this set up, and even though the amp is beat to hell, and looks like it has a million miles on it, the mechanical parts have not bent or broken in fifty years. My 1967 B12-XTC, (a big cab, with four twelves, which weighs what? a hundred pounds?) also has the same set up, and it also is completely intact. These amps were very well thought out, and are very durable. When I replaced the shock mounts on the '63 because the rubber had deteriorated, I discovered that the mounts are used to mount control panels in helicopters. Aircraft grade hardware!

8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Well, OK then. Just goes to show ya they don't make stuff like they used to.

9. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

I've owned more Portaflexes than I care to admit (or count) and none of them ever had a problem with the dolly/t-nut (this includes my 120 pound B15R which has been gigged extensively).

Except for the very early B15's the cabs had foot cups in the bottom and the dollies had the counterpart feet pointing up. This aided in the stability of the system - but even my '60 and '61 (without the cups) have not had a problem.

Back in the day, the larger Ampeg models (like the SVT 810) did have dual t-nuts/thumbscrews.