1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Portaflex solid-state recto

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Precisionb87, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Precisionb87

Precisionb87

Hi Everyone.
    I have a '68 portaflex B-15-N-F that I want to make solid state rectified. I am experienced with electronics, and fully realize the precautions that need to be taken around vintage amps and their potentially lethal plate voltages.

Anyhow, I plan on salvaging the octal base from a used-up tube, and implementing a simple diode array with a power resistor in series to replicate the 50 volt drop across a conventional tube recto. Thus a plug-and-play replacement. (much like what Weber sells, but at a much lower cost:))

My question: Has anybody figured out what value resistor to use?

Being experienced with electronics, I know how to figure it out (by taking desired voltage drop in this case 50v, and dividing it by the measured operating current) (Ohm's Law) BUT if somebody has already done this, it would save me the time of taking the current measurement.
  2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

3. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Weber Copper Caps would be the ideal replacement, offering whatever voltage drop you want, and soft start. Inside are the usual diodes, the correct resistance for whatever voltage drop you desire, and a thermistor to bring the voltage up slowly. I have them in several amps, and have opened a couple to see what was inside.

http://www.webervst.com/ccap.html
  4. Precisionb87

Precisionb87

I was unaware that tubeandmore sold them. They don't have the soft start, but the portaflex has a standby switch, so I don't really need that. They are considerably cheaper than Webers. I'll go with that then. Thanks for the help guys.