1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

porting an ampeg pf115he

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by solitario, Nov 20, 2012.

1. solitario

solitario

Hi, after seeing that ampeg came out with a ported version of his pf 115he name pf115lf, I wrote Loud to see if the speaker was the same in both cabs.

the said yes, it is the same but they do not recomend to por my pf115he (they didnt say why, I supouse they want to sell me the ported one)

being the same speaker in both the only diference is that the non ported has a tweeter.

Do you think that I might have problems if drill ports in mine?

Also, ported cabs are supoused to be louder and bassier, how is it possible that the pf115he gets down to 50hz ante the 115lf wich is supoused to be a low frecuency ported cab only gets down to 57hz? and why both have the same spl?

Thank you guys

2. Marty Forrer

Marty Forrer

Someone on TB did this not long ago, and documented it with pics and commentary. You should find it with a bit of a search.

3. solitario

solitario

Yes I allready did that but 115lf was not available at that time, thats why I'm asking now.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Stiles on here added two stock Ampeg ports to his PF115he and said he loved it. Me, I keep mine unported because I just don't need that kind of low end response.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stiles72

stiles72

Here's the link to my thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ampeg-portaflex-pf115he-mods-866811/

I used stock B-100R/BA115 Ampeg parts so the specs would have been the same as if it came from the factory that way. I only ported one of my cabs and it gave me just that little extra I was looking for. No regrets. I also added vintage handles and side mounted speakon jacks that bypass the jack plate and crossover.

7. rodl2005

rodl2005

How do the 2 cabs sound together, with one ported & one sealed?

I'm thinking of doing this to one of my 3015 loaded PF115HE's

8. stiles72

stiles72

I like it. Even with just porting the one cab, it opens up the sound - makes it fill out the room more. I'm not reall good at describing stuff like that, but know my drummer said she likes it better this way. Says she can hear more of the low end that she is used to listening to.

9. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Man... wish they did this when I bought mine!!

10. rodl2005

rodl2005

Cool thanx. I think this might be the way to go for my 2 also.
    The 3015's ain't s'posed to be in a sealed cab, but sound good in it, the low end roll off is pretty severe, but I can add it with eq & they'll handle a heap of it very easily.
    But having one ported... hmmm, food 4 thought

11. solitario

solitario

Nice Job! Do You think it sounds louder? Too much bass? Compared to the non ported one how would you describe the sound?

12. stiles72

stiles72

It's not really louder, but you definitely "feel" the difference. It projects differently and fills out the room more. I don't think it has too much low end - but then again I like a good amount of bass. If you like a "tight" sound, I would leave it as is.