1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Portland OR scene?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by okcrum, Oct 4, 2013.

1. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    I'm curious as to the state of the music scene in Portland. Is it in the post pay-to-play phase, and driven off a lot of good players? Or still stuck in the middle of it? If you're in the scene there, I'd like to get your summary of how you see it. Thanks, y'all.

2. moka

moka

Been out of the Portland scene for about 3 years. It was very much pay to play/play for drinks at best. It sucked and none of the clubs ever promoted anything or anyone. It was mostly bands playing for other bands. We played Red Room, Ash St., West Slope and Dantes. I'm looking to put together another project and would be interested in knowing what the scene is like also. Granted those clubs aren't top shelf, so I speak from limited experience.

3. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

I'd be curious to know what the cover scene is like, too. Both the 'Top 40' bands (classic/modern rock n' roll with pop covers thrown in) and funk/soul/horn-based bands.

4. zagralin_arf

zagralin_arf

Played in a metal band in Portland back in 2007 and the scene was terrible. Nobody ever turned up for shows, it was pay to play, no promotion ever for anything.

Did a show in April at Ash St Saloon and it totally kicked ass. Big turnout, good pay, good treatment, good everything.

Not sure if the scene has gotten better or if my new band is just much better.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TinyE

TinyE Supporting Member

The scene has not gotten much better.