Portrait of Tracy Cover

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Nasty Nate, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate

2. preside

preside

Not bad but the final chord did not come out right. If this is for an audition you must get that chord to sound properly, but I bet you know that.
  3. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Bar across the 9th fret and then the harmonics are at the 13th fret. It may seen counter intuitive, but rolling some of your highs off and using more back pickup will help the chord come out.
    Good job!:bassist:
  4. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

Nice but i'd definitely correct the final chord.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

You can also tap that last harmonic chord. It helped me because I had a very hard time do a bar at the 9th fret on 3 strings and do another bar at the 13th fret. So I do a bar at the 9th fret but I tap the 13th fret
  7. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate

Thanks guys! guess I'll fix the last chord then.

I'm all the way on my bridge pup the whole time anyway.

This recording is with the barre technique, but i've also messed with tapping it. When i do, I place one finger on each string at the 13th fret and strum with my thumb, which is accurate but i swear it somehow sounds different.
  8. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    That would probably have to do with strumming with the thumb a little closer to the neck. If you use the fretting hand to mute you can pick over the back pickup and the harmonics will sound a little more defined.
    You've probably already seen this, but this is a good live version:
  9. tensegrity

tensegrity

Has anyone figured out how Jaco played the harmonics on the record near the end of the tune where you play a Bb and then and F (with the F held until the final few measures)? It sounds to me similar to the previous two chords, a C and then a G with a harmonic 9th and 7th, but just lower, with root on Bb and F. Just can't figure out how the heck he did that one (or even if it's possible)?
  10. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate

Your talking about the two chords he hits right before the reprise of the intro, yes? The harmonics are not at 9 and 7.

The first chord is a fretted Bb, and then the harmonics at 3.2 on the first and second strings.

The second chord is a fretted F, and the harmonics right over the third fret on the second and third strings.