1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Portrait of Tracy

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by AngryPig1, Mar 24, 2014.

1. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

I hope this is in the right place....

I've never been massively into Jaco (am I allowed to say that here?) but Portrait of Tracy is an incredible bit of composition and playing. Much more my kind of thing compared to the excessive noodling. So, I've decided to learn it but by getting a copy and slowing it down 50%, it makes a massive difference as I'm now really able to follow the melody and complex interchanging of harmonics and regular notes.

Quick question though, whats everyones 'right hand' fingering for this? Are you playing with your standard style 'walking' fingers or more of a classical guitar style involving plucking all fingers and the thumb? especially on the chord sections. (i hope my descriptions there made sense...)

PS if anyone would like a slowed down version still in the same key to practice with and doesnt have the capabilities of making it themselves feel free to PM me.. (but please buy a legit version of the original etc etc!)

2. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Some of the articial harmonics require a specific plucking technique where you finger a node with your right hand index finger while plucking with your middle or ring finger. But I think differentiating between standard "walking" fingers and classical guitar technique kind of misses the point: You have to do what you have to do to execute the material By Any Means Necessary, and so the material will dictate what right hand fingering is required.

3. Lownote38

Lownote38

When I've played that tune, I've alternated between the two styles depending on the part I've playing. The last false harmonic chord he plays (good luck with that one), is definitely more of a classical guitar player plucking approach for me. There are videos of him playing that song if you want to know how Jaco played it.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Depends on the part. I play the 5/4 section more classical guitar style, as well as all the 3 note harmonics. I play the final harmonic traditional style, just a downward stroke through the strings. I only play the Ab-Eb harmonic, some guys add the Bb but I don't hear it on the record.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

hmmm ok thanks guys. TBH im not really having any trouble getting the notes out nice and clear individually its just been the changes between 'walking' and 'classical' fingering when it comes to some of the 3 note chords. I dont think my RIC with the pickup cover is particualrly suited to this song!

Will have a little look for vids of Jaco and others playing it and see what they are doing.

7. tobias3469

tobias3469 Supporting Member

words to live by....