1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

possible blown speaker on GK MB500 2x10 combo

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassIsFun17, Nov 2, 2012.

1. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Spector Owner Club #372 Supporting Member

Hey everyone,

first off i'd like to know if anyone on here has blown a speaker in their GK MB500 2x10 combo? i haven't had a chance to check my speakers yet for lose screws and the whole troubleshoot. I just want to know where i could find a replacement speaker for this combo if I did indeed blow my speaker. From the way it is sounding when i play, it is definitely farting out, and not projecting quite as well as it has been over the last 2 years which i've owned it.

thanks for the help!
    -Rory

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

does it fart out at low volumes? if so its most likely blown. pull the grill and carefully press on the speaker and see if you can feel the speaker rubbing on the voice coil. if it doesnt move smoothly you have blown it.

4. BassIsFun17

im going to check on that tonight. and also it doesnt seem to fart out when its lower volumes. what would this imply if its mostly at high volumes?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassIsFun17

7. BassIsFun17

soo i was able to sit next to the amp and play it quietly to hear closely. and it definitely makes the farting/buzzy sound at all volumes. and at high volumes, the whole damn cabinet just seems to vibrate really rapidly in general. anybody have any input on this?

8. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

Go inside and snug up any+every bit of hardware you can get a wrench or screwdriver on. Don't forget jack plates, handles, corner hardware, and so on.

Pull the drivers out of the cab, swap their locations and rotate them, say, 90 degrees, but make sure the wires aren't touching the cones when you put them back. Tighten in a (progressive) star pattern, same as wheel lugs, so you don't warp the frames, which would cause the voice coils to rub. Don't sock the screws down, just snug them up.

You can also try temporarily shimming at different points where slight gaps exist, such as between head and case. That can help narrow things down.

It's possible, but unlikely, the cab has started to come apart from vibration, and that's the buzz you're hearing. You can try physically compressing the cab while you're playing, to see if the problem disappears. Try each of the 3 planes separately.

Also, if the cab is ported, could be the port shelf has loosened (if they use a shelf), or a port tube has come loose (if they use tubes). You can check that while the drivers are out.

Everything above assumes the speakers are NOT the cause. But if you go though all the above, even if you're 75% sure the speakers ARE the cause, it will bring your confidence level up almost to 100%.

Buzzing is one of the more frustrating symptoms to assign a proper cause to.