Possible NAD (Traynor) - seeking opinions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by VerryBerry, Jan 11, 2014.

1. VerryBerry

VerryBerry Supporting Member

Looking at a couple of tube amps. Traynor specifically - a 1973 YBA-3 and a used, but warranteed YBA200-2.

There's a YBA200-2 at my local store for $500 - and I can add on a couple years of warranty for $20/year if I want to.

The YBA-3 has been restored/recapped/retubed by a local reputable tech. It's in very good shape. He wants $1000 for it. Nice amp, but perhaps a bit too pricey for me.

I am not gigging and have only started down this road 2 years ago. but good tone and toys keep up one's interest. Jamming with a buddy or 2 is where I am at for now. Down the road, who knows?

Back to the amps: The wattage difference is not a concern and I will rarely be able to crank either of them into their respective sweet spots. The 200 is perhaps a little less bullet-proof than the YBA-3 from what I've read, but is covered by Long & McQuade's/Traynor's warranty, no-lemon policy, etc. etc. And I can buy several years of warranty at $20 each.

The YBA-3 is a simple point-to-point design which could be kept going theoretically forever, but has no warranty.

Are there any TBers that have or have had both? If so, aside from the money difference, which would you choose?

Thanks!
  2. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost

$1000!!??
    I just posted my YBA-3 on CL for $600obo yesterday. I should re-consider, haha.

I can't help with comparison though, sorry. That's a big jump in price though. Doesn't seem to be a fair comparison at that point. I don't think a YBA-3 is worth anywhere near the $1K range, but maybe it is to you? Great amp, though, that's for sure.
  3. VerryBerry

Yeah, the YBA-3 is a great amp by most reports, but I tend to agree with you regarding the price spread.

If it were a nostalgia thing where I just had to have that model, then maybe $1k wouldn't be the stretch it seems to be to me. I'm thinking the YBA200-2 is my better choice.

Just curious, why are you selling your YBA-3?
  4. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost

Because I need more volume/power to keep up with my band. The YBA-3 is just a hair underpowered through my old 810. Every 100w-140w tube amp I've had has been underpowered through an 810. So I'm just going to bite my lip and plunge for a vintage SVT in the next few days. Plus it'll match my flatback 810. I'd love to keep the Traynor but I prefer my Sound City 100 and Sunn 200s over it and need to sell something for the SVT damage.

But even at $600 I feel like I'm asking too much. That one for $1000 is just crazy. Good luck. I say play both and if you have the fuel for it, get what you feel you'll be most happy with. Or if you like the YBA-3 you can keep an eye out for online. I bought mine from the opposite coast and the dude was nice enough to ship it to me. Randomly found it on CL. They always pop up.
  5. big evil robot

big evil robot

$1000 for a YBA-3 is insane. Just take a trip to Ontario and hit a few pawn shops, you'll find a few for much less.
    The YBA200 is a great workhorse amp and they sound great. Don't pay $500 extra for nostalgia.
  6. VerryBerry

Thanks for the replies, guys.
    I just wondered if there was something super-spiffy about the YBA3 that would make it a "must have", but as I suspected, it's a nice amp but not worth the asking price. I had not tried negotiating at this point because I am in the info gathering stage.

I've decided to go with the YBA 200-2 with warranty for half the price. It's Long & McQuade's rental but it looks new. I'll pick it up next weekend.

Thanks
  7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

It's a good idea not to visit the GTA at the moment. What with ice storms, Arctic vortexes, frozen equipment and computer failures, getting into Pearson is a trick.
  8. VerryBerry

Ah, no chance of that Paul. Considering what we came out of in this area last week (-30 C). The +5 C temps coming here in the next couple of days don't make me want to follow ice storms and the like. :)

Besides, that nice-looking $500 YBA200 is right here in Edmonton.

Thanks again, everyone.
  9. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

I pickup up a YBA200 for 145 bucks but in a not working for unknown reasons condition... all I've had time to do so far is check the fuse which was blown, from the guy's description of how long he was using it I suspect it needs tubes so still not a bad deal unless it's a transformer gone or something. it's missing the back panel and a tube retainer so i'll have to get part numbers for those and stop by L&M sometime. I love the old stuff but $1000 is way too much for the YBA-3. I have a 73 YRM-1 and a 70 YGM-3 which are both awesome guitar amps. I have a YBA-1a that needs a three prong cord, filter caps and tubes since I bought it 4? years ago? Just haven't had the time, will be curious how it works for bass when I finally do get around to it.
  10. VerryBerry

Seems to be good for bass too, although not loud (for bass). I picked up a used YBA-1 Tribute Re-Issue not long ago just to have something for guitar. Tried the bass in it and love the sound! The 5-way power attenuator on the back of the Tribute model is a nice feature.
  11. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

That's good to hear! I'll have to get myself in gear and fix the thing. I bought it from a guy who found it in a barn... it had been a place to put candles (didn't ask what was happening in the barn) so it was covered in wax. cleaned up incredibly well, just have to get it running!