Possibly looking for an 'Anti' Tone Hammer 500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by AMp'D.2play, Mar 3, 2014.

1. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

I currently own a TH500, which I am very satisfied with. In fact, I also have a TH350 as a backup.

I'm contemplating getting another head that could provide me with tonal options that would be considered the polar opposite of the TH. I guess it might be said that I have that already in my Aguilar AG500, but that's around 28 lbs in it's case, so nice, light, & compact would be preferred. Plus, I've had the AG500 for a while and part of me is just itching for something different.

I used to own a TecAmp Puma 500, which I really liked and sometimes wish I still had. The Puma 900 is the model on my radar this time around.

I like what I've read/heard about the GK MB Fusion 800, and it's nice that it'd be several hundred $$ less than the Puma. Price-wise, I'd say the Puma 900 is stretching the top end of my comfort zone, so I don't want to go any higher.

I play mostly classic rock mixed with some other stuff thrown in depending on the gig. Once in a blue moon I'll get asked to do a P&W gig. Almost totally fingerstyle. Jazz basses, a P bass, and a Music Man HH are my main weapons of choice. Play through either a pair of Bergantino HD112s or a pair of DNA DNS-115 neo cabs.

So, the Puma 900, MB Fusion 800, or ... ?

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Please explain how 'anti-tone' should sound. To me, any one bass amp sounds much more the same as another than 'opposite'. I guess you should go with something with a lot of eq options.

3. David Jayne

David Jayne

If your looking for clean and relatively uncolored at a reasonably price, I'd say consider a Marbass LMIII.

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Carvin heads are very transparent. The BX line has semi-parametric EQ along with defeatable graphic EQ, which comes in handy if you use more than one bass. The top end is clear but smooth. The new B1000 sounds great (Youtube) and has a more simple, TH type of EQ but is also un-colored and quite powerful (600w @ 4, 900 @ 2).
    Prices are great since no middleman. Made in USA.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

GK MB800. High highs, extended lows. Very clean naturally, whereas the TH500 is naturally hairy.

7. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Anything Phil Jones. Try the D-600.

8. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

I think this is a better choice than the MB Fusion, which is a little on the warm side like the Aggie.

Possibly also a (used, 'cause discontinued) Markbass F1 or F500, which are both really clean, crazy loud, and crazy small.

9. silky smoove

silky smoove

Not 'anti-tone,' but rather 'anti Tone Hammer.'

10. bobicidal

bobicidal Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sub'd. Very interested in hearing how this ends as I am in the same boat with the TH500 which sounds great for what it is. Had a Mesa Carbine M9 which was an awesome amp but too big and heavy - I never wanted to bring it out of the house and rarely did. Looking at the MB800 because I liked the MB200 I had, but I would prefer my next amp go down to 2 Ohms so may be looking at Carvin because I don't know any other light options which can.

11. edencab

edencab

12. Pyrobass

Pyrobass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for Orange, Sadowsky, Two Notes Audio, Dean Markley
    No doubt, Orange Terror. 1000 watts has tons of headroom

13. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    Ampeg PF-800 or-500. New MiniMega Peavey at 1000 watts.

14. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

I went a GB shuttle 9.2 to contrast my TH-350, couldn't be happier...

15. xroads

xroads

I don't think the Ampeg PFs are at the tonal opposite of the Aguilar Tone Hammers.

You might also consider a Glockenklang Blue Sky; a quite clean amp with a lot of sonic detail. I have the Puma 500, which is pretty clean as well.
    GK has its own sound going, which you might like as well.

16. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    If the constraint is leaving all knobs at noon, I'd agree. If not, it should be possible to get even a TH500 to sound close to its own opposite tonally.

OK, I'll substitute Eden lightweights.

17. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

I have not found this to be true in any amp I've used, IME. Edit: not to be rude, just compared to what I call polar opposite.

Also owning a TH-350, I would say although it's got a tone/s I seriously love, and even with it's uber flexible EQ getting it to sound like a Genz, GK, Eden or puma etc. is just not going to happen...

IME, EQ sections of an amp allow control within the tonal palette of the amp, but don't allow the ability to simulate another amps tonal signature...

18. xroads

xroads

The tonal footprint of the amp will remain.
    I don't think you can get the Glockenklang sound out of a PF-500...

19. el murdoque

el murdoque

+1 on the Markbass.
    I have both the Tonehammer500 and a LMII.
    Intentionally i planned to sell the LMII as soon as i got the Tonehammer,
    but this thing is the anti-Tonehammer. Deep down in the lows, where the TH is warm and smooth, the MB is bone-dry. The highs, are the same. So i kept the LMII since it's a nice contrast to the Tonehammer.

20. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

@ xroads - yes, I've also been perusing the Glock threads. The Blue Sky (&/or Soul) have the type of 'clean' sound that I think would offset the TH nicely. Pricey, but I guess they're in the ballpark of the Puma, give or take. And I know that Ken (KJung) really digs it, and over the years I've come to respect his opinion(s) on equipment.

@ Pimmsley - I've had the opportunity to demo a 9.2. I'd agree it also has a tone that would set it apart from the TH. Very versatile EQ, too! A shop near me has a mint used one that I almost bought, but his asking price is kinda pre-blow out, i.e., I could probably find a new one for what he's asking used. The high end is a little ... I don't want to say 'brittle' ... but I found I had to dial it down to get my ears to like it, which I eventually did. Small, light, and powerful - I'd definitely consider one, despite the demise of GB.

21. Mattsochistic

Mattsochistic

I love my MTD 635-24 through my Genz ShuttleMax 9.2...... It's HUGE! We play out a lot, and I play bass for a living without another job and I have yet to even get to the SS pre yet. lol. What an amazing head, and loud.... wholey geeps!