1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Post-Band Funk

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RandalPinkFloyd, Nov 21, 2012.

1. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

So back in early October I guess it was (I forget the day but it's irrelevant), I quit the band I was in. It was a plethora of reasons. Lead Singer always late, sometimes up to an hour, wanting to cancel, showing up drunk, and changing the entire set list to country songs (some of which were the exact same 3 chord progressions in the same key because it was the only way he could play guitar and sing). Not to mention the LS also didn't have time to practice more than twice a week and that was like pulling teeth to get that commitment, although he had plenty of time to bring girls to the rehearsal studio a couple of nights a week to try and hook up with them.. Up until I joined these guys, and even while in it, I practiced every day at least 2 hrs, but usually more. On Saturdays we'd have a 2 hour rehearsal, then I'd go home and play another 2 or 3 hours. Since the band stuff was so easy, I was able to spend more time practicing other things like arpeggios, reading music, music theory, and continue to build on the knowledge I had to create my own bass lines.

But after I left the band, I noticed my practice and desire to practice took a nose dive. I'm in a serious funk. It's a struggle now and I'm averaging 45-60 a night practicing on a good night and I really have to make myself practice that long. Not to mention I've already this month taken more days off from practicing than the previous 6 months combined. Considering how much I played up till I quit the band, I'm concerned. The stuff I had no problems practicing before is now ultra boring. I don't want to start slipping as I still have plenty of growing to do as a bass player. The desire to play is still there but playing alone out of a book or along with songs on youtube has become boring and uninteresting. That's where I'm stuck. I really enjoy being on stage, playing, performing, etc. So the overall desire to play is there, it's just the practicing part. But we all know it's a necessary evil. An evil at one time that I enjoyed, and now that I don't, I'm concerned.

I don't know if it's good or bad, I would think good as at least it's still music so it's good for my ear, but I have filled all the extra time I now have playing my acoustic guitar. But this is still time I could be using to improve my bass playing.

Now, the simple answer would be to join another band. The problem is, I'm looking to move out of state no later than July, hopefully by May or June though. Making a break for the west coast. I could lie, but I pride myself on being an honest person, so I'd rather not try to trick someone just so I can get my band playing rocks off for 7 months. Wasting someone's time and being deceptive like that isn't me. I have been looking for guys to jam with as I feel that would resolve the issue, but so far no luck. Anyone have any suggestions to help relight my practice fire in the event I'm not able to find a situation before my move? Thoughts?
  2. bluewine

bluewine

Take a look at my new thread, " Why Do We Join The Wrong Bands."

Blue
  3. nancyr

nancyr

Hit some open mikes?
  4. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

I see Dallas as your location. Could you maybe put yourself out there as a sub or "bass for hire" musician?