post-rock. something new?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by necropain, Dec 12, 2012.

1. necropain

necropain

many people know im always on here asking about heavy fuzz and reverb usually pertaining to sludge metal well this time i have a different question

i play alot of post-rock and im really trying to add something new. to me the best way to change your sound is through pedals and well i use the standard effects for this kind of music you know reverb, delay, little bit of fuzz, some octave, chorus, and of course i have a looper. but i want to add something different and i dont know what.

shoot me some pedal ideas i think i wanna buy something new but don't know what.
  2. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I notice you don't have any distortion listed.

I recommend a BOSS DS-1,...best bass toanz for post-gaze-nu-kraut-pop-rock-dancing-on-your-tongue.
  3. Shinyflavors7

Shinyflavors7

Synth maybe?
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Phaser, flanger, filter. Pick one, or two, or three.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

Tremolo is great in a post-rock setting, IMO. Preferably with the ability to control speed with an exp. pedal, and coupled with an e-bow or an actual bow.

This is one of the ways I use my mf-102 and it's a lovely sound.
  7. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Check out the stuff Brian Cook uses in Russian Circles. He does some pretty outside the box post rock playing. He makes lots of interesting sounds.

My band occasionally touches on some post rock stuff, and what works for me, is lots of distortion pedals. I use 3 now. Rusty Box, Rat Tail and Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker. Having that many gives me lots of stacking options. And noise options.

Anyways, I am rambling.
    Good luck.
  8. insomniac2295

insomniac2295 Supporting Member

+1 Brian Cook does a TON if gain stacking. It's kind of crazy actually
  9. necropain

necropain

so FYI i am using distortion chorus and flange aswell and yes the distortion is a Boss DS-1 i also have the DS-2 i love me some DS-1 though

also i use the BF-3 flanger

i do not have a phaser trem, synth, or filter though.

any suggestions?
  10. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

Well, since you already have an octaver and a fuzz, I would recommend a filter over a synth pedal. You can get very nice, synthy sounds with those effects in combination with an envelope filter, and you wouldn't have to deal with the tracking issues that come with a synth pedal.

I stand by my tremolo recommendation, but I also love my env. filter. And the latter is arguably a more versatile/essential tool in a bass effects chain. Iron Ether, 3Leaf, Source Audio, MXR and Moog make some of the more popular filters around these parts -- I'd look into that.
  11. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Have you tried an echo pedal yet?
  12. Ron Now

Ron Now

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I'd scope out a trem. Preferably something that can do different waveforms and patterns ala the lightfoot labs goatkeeper. My other suggestion would be the moog murf, that pedal can do all sorts of awesome filtery weird things that can be layered under what you're already playing.

If you go for a phaser IMO look for one with a mix control as I feel like a phaser overtakes everything if you're using gain/fuzz with it. But if you have the mix control you can add in some phasing to add that shift and movement without overtaking everything else.
  13. erigod23

erigod23

Envelope Filter and Bit Crusher would be cool additions. I won't recommend anything specific, but I'm using Iron Ether Frantabit, MXR Bass Envelope Filter and EHX Bassballs. Got my eye on 3 Leaf Audio Proton.
  14. franksgbass

franksgbass Supporting Member

Try a different type of fuzz. The Dwarfcraft Baby Thundaa is great. It sounds different than any other fuzz. But in the mix, it stands out in a really unique way. Its the exact oposite of synth type fuzz, which gets lost pretty quickly. Trem is a pretty good idea as well. There are some that are choppy and some that are thumpy. Some do both. You'll have to decide. Use you tube demos to figure out whats right for you
  15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

bass mod wmd geiger counter into a vintage dr q
  16. Grimoire

Grimoire

The Undulator algorithm in an Eventide Modfactor is post-rock in a box. Add a little crunch, delay, and reverb and you have all you need.
  17. godblender

godblender Supporting Member

You might try one of the Line 6 M-series units. They have all kinds of different effects patches (all tweak-able and expression controllable) and most sound really good. They can be found used often and could give you a better idea of what sounds you may want to dedicate to individual pedals.
  18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

19. metaball

metaball

20. newbold

newbold

EHX Freeze
    BYOC Armstrong Twin
  21. dmccuiston

dmccuiston

I posted a similar question a while back and got some great feedback. I'm in an instrumental post-rock band. I'm really happy with my sound these days. I don't use all of the pedals all of the time, but they all have their place.

My board, in order -
    Ernie Ball Volume JR
    Ibanez Bass Tube Screamer (Best bass OD I've owned)
    MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe (So So good)
    Akai Headrush E2 (Fantastic delay and Looper)
    Neunenbar WET Reverb (Really good for post-rock swells)

This board has evolved over time and I may add a phaser to the mix, but the pedals that are on there are not coming off.

my .02