Post-rock

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ziltoid, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

Any post-rock fans on these boards? It's a fairly new musical interest of mine and I have to say I'm hooked.

Bands I like: GYBE, Grails, Mogwai, Sigur Ros, Russian circles, pg.lost, Cloudkicker, Tortoise, Do Make Say Think, The Evpatoria Report, Explosions in the Sky, From Monument to Masses, Mono, Yndi Halda, Slint.
  2. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

Two thumbs up for post rock. :D Mogwai and GYBE are particular long time favourites, and, more recently, Russian Circles.
  3. sevdog

sevdog

Sure. Slint, Mogwai and illegal substances occupied a whole lot of my time around the turn of the century.
  4. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

Mr. Beast is probably my favorite album. I love that album so much, I listen to it nearly everyday.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

What brought you to this new musical interest?

I grew up listening to new wave, punk, hardcore and shoegazer bands, so post rock, to me, seems like the natural extension/progression of those musics... I've always thought post rock was influenced by some of the more ambient shoegaze bands like Slowdive and My Bloody Valentine... My .02. If you're into Mogwai and GYBE, check out early M83... Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts, Before the Dawn Heals US, Digital Shades and Saturdays = Youth are all great albums...
  7. 4dog

4dog

Man, so many genres so little time, my head spins , regularly.
  8. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

I'm always on the lookout to discover new stuff, I just randomly stumbled on mogwai in one of my "research". I then tried to find stuff in a similar tangent and also got recommendations from a friend, that's when I discovered GYBE and a few others. Heast hasting and the rest of the F# A# infinity album striked me as awesome, I then realized I had already heard a version of it in the 28 days later movie, I remember really digging the scenes with that music.

As far as what I liked before post-rock, I was, and still am, a bit prog fan (Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Opeth, Vanilla Fudge, Gentle Giant, etc.) But I also like some ambient (Helios mainly) and minimalist classic (Philip Glass) and post-rock kind of seems like a winning combination of those elements.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check that out.

I'm right there with you.

edit: Did you listen to the new Mogwai EP and the last GYBE album?
  9. oniman7

oniman7

Don't forget about God is an Astronaut.

Also, if you're a prog rock fan, you can't ignore Scale the Summit:

Instrumental goodness. I believe a TB'er is their new bassist.
  10. VincentGrim

VincentGrim Supporting Member

Post-Rock!! Haha, love it, here's my band!
  11. oniman7

oniman7

Kicking bass tone. I think one of your guitarists needs to spend more time in the low end though.
  12. VincentGrim

VincentGrim Supporting Member

Thanks! The whole band sounds better in person, but they did have an EQ issue back then that has come a very long way since.

Bass tone back then was courtesy of a Squier Matt Freeman sig into a Fender Rumble 210. Distortion/fuzz was just switching the overdrive channel on if I remember correctly
  13. oniman7

oniman7

I know how hard it is to fill up the gap with two guitarists trying to do a lead thing over the bass. Even one of my favorite bands, Avenged Sevenfold, really has some huge sonic gaps when the two guitarists are harmonizing and there's 2 octaves or more between them and the bass:

Great job though
  14. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

Wait, why is avenged sevenfold mentionned in my pretty post-rock thread? :eyebrow: :p
  15. lostcontrol_

lostcontrol_

I'm pretty surprised that Caspian, Hammock and Maserati haven't been mentioned yet, wonderful stuff there. I'm tempted to bring in the post-metal (or whatever you want to call it), but I guess it's better to leave it to other threads before the "it's post-metal, no, sludge, no, post-hardcore, no, nu-post-hardsludge, no, post-post" -debate catches on :D

Lately I've been doing some ambient soundscapes with post-something influences for my own pleasure, maybe I'll release them somewhere at some point. All in all, post-* <3

Also,

This ;D
  16. MICKUSS

MICKUSS

I recently joined a post-rock band called KUATO. Check out their previous albums here: http://kuatoband.com/album/summer-ep FREE downloads! We've also added a third guitarist and are going into the studio in April to record a full length.

The band sounds a bit different now with me on bass. I don't use a pick, sometimes use flatwounds, and like to play with a lot of FUZZ on a few songs.
  17. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

Yeah, I discovered Caspian yesterday actually. I built a good list of bands I have to check out and I try to check one or two per day. God is an astronaut is also on that list. And I just added Hammock and Maserati.

I'm open to post-metal (or whatever) I'm not one to get into sub-genre debates ;) if you want to suggest bands have a go at it!

One band that really impressed me lately is The Evpatoria Report, beautiful stuff. Seeing you like Caspian you'll most likely enjoy them.
  18. MICKUSS

MICKUSS

I should add my favourite post-rock bands are Do Make Say Think, GY!BE, and Mogwai, Red Sparowes. Recently been liking Russian Circles a lot too.
  19. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

AH! I like where you placed the exclamation mark, I too prefer GY!BE to GYBE! ;)
  20. oniman7

oniman7

Sorry, nerd discussion about EQ and sonic gaps. Carry on
  21. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

Kerretta kills! I like them better than Russian Circles actually.