1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Post your lightweight Bass rigs! 1x10s to 2x12s.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bassman18, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Bassman18

Bassman18

I'm hunting for a lightweight bass rig that i can lug around the city on public transport as i don't own a car.

I'm curious to see what other bass players who live in the city are playing through, and suggest some tips for getting a great tone out of a little rig.

So post some pics, please! :hyper:

Cheers, Matt.
  2. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

GK MB500 / GK 112-II NEO. Toss the 3.5lb head in a bag and carry the cab in 1 hand.
  3. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

if I had to carry my rig on the bus and couldn't get away with just a DI I'd go SWR babyblue or Markbass mini mark or Phil Jones etc etc . I do use a tiny rig but 2 x 1 10's is still more than I'd want to lug . I am lazy though :p
  4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

The Search function is your friend, I think there may be multiple threads with loads of info and photos on this exact subject. ;)
  5. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

I need a bus to haul my rig.
    :hyper::bassist:
  6. fearlessflasher

fearlessflasher

i use a line6 ld150, its a single 12", which i was dubious with to start with but, its turned out to have a serious sound, i cant complain in the slightest. and their easy to shift.

cheers paul
  7. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

Similar to this rig, I have a Shuttle 6.0 with an Avatar B210 Neo. The Shuttle is 4lbs and goes in a laptop bag, 2x10 is 45lbs and quite manageable. For max portability... gig bag for a bass, grab the Shuttle bag and my "mini" pedalboard doesn't have to come along. ;)

Man, I just looked at that pedalboard and realized... that was many versions ago. Oh how it's changed since then, and it hasn't even been that long since this pic! lol

5sg.

[​IMG]
  8. vinxbass

vinxbass

BX500 w/BRX10.2 neo cab.

[​IMG]
  9. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

OK, heres a pic. I tossed the VT pedal in just to give you some scale.

GK MB500 / GK 112-II NEO.

[​IMG]
  10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

11. ninepoundjammer

ninepoundjammer Supporting Member

My most portable rig is bass in gig bag on my back, small case with pedal board and micro amp (EA Doubler) in one hand, and Bergantino HT 112ER in the other. Not soon after I got this gear I was doing a gig downtown and the nearest parking I could get was about 4 blocks. I figured I could just hoof it. I made it, but had to take several breaks. Everything was fine, except the cab, at 43 lbs, was still too heavy to comfortably carry much of a distance. When shopping around I was shocked at how much lighter the Berg AE112, at 31lbs, felt in comparison, but I liked the HT's tone and I'm usually driving to gigs.

Most of the cabs people are posting here, awesome as they may be, are going to be too heavy to be practical for you. I'd be looking for a cab around 30 lbs or less.

The EA Whizzy 10 with the backpack may be the ultimate in portability.
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 docked on a 12T speaker - 375 watts, 36 total pounds. The second 12T speaker under it adds 32 more pounds and allows the amp to go to 600 watts. There is VERY little that you can't cover with 375W, and you can't do it any lighter than this. LOVE the sound!!!!

[​IMG]
  13. Bassman18

Bassman18

Thanks guys, some great posts and Rigs, Cheers.

@ Lowendblues: Definitely the kind of rig i'm looking for! I tried out the GK Neo 2x12 cab, but preferred the Mark bass traveller 210 i tried out (just a tad out of my budget though)...i'm going to have a try of some more GK stuff soon though...
  14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

15. marc40a

marc40a

What did you not like about the GK? I'm considering one.
  16. crustychef

crustychef

TC Electronics RH 212 and Gallien Krueger 700rbII. I could lug it and two basses on the bus if I had too.
    I do plan on replacing the head with a Gallien Krueger MB 500 fusion
    [​IMG]
  17. Bassman18

Bassman18

Marc, I played the 2x12 GK cabinet and there was just way too much bass response for my liking and a massive loss of clarity. But yeah, thats just my opinion, the Mark bass 2x10s sounded tighter. I'll try a GK 2x10 and a 1x12 out though. Cheers.
  18. carlos840

carlos840

Poooweeerrr

Actually, my powers come from the curly cable! They do make you play and sound a whole lot better...

[​IMG]
  19. badboy1984

badboy1984

Here's my LM 250 + MB 102

[​IMG]
  20. davegt666

davegt666

Recently got the new Fender Rumble 350. It's an awesome little rig.

[​IMG]

-2x10
    -350W
    -65lbs
    -Direct Out
    -Castors
    -Overdrive (Footswitchable)
    -Effects Loop
    -Aux In

I currently use it for band practice but I think it should be able to handle smaller to medium gigs. If not I could always go direct to the PA. The bass is an Ibanez SRX2EX2 which is also small and awesome.