1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Post your "This Bass Suprised Me Today" story...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russpurdy, Jan 27, 2014.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy

So I went to a nearby city today for an appointment and took some time to check out their music shops (which are always stocked with better and more interesting stuff than my local places).

I pulled down probably 15 basses in total and tried a few out. I was excited as most of them were on my "id like to try" list. Unfortunately most of the basses were a total letdown. Setup were garbage, fret sprout everywhere (Canadian winters) and most of them just didn't have much personality. Oddly enough I didn't leave wanting to own all the new basses I tried, I was just happy that I had a few good ones at home. I did, however, learn a few thighs. I might prefer that 2 band EQ on classic Stingrays, Fender Bass VI's are really fun to mess around on, and as much as I enjoyed the Fender Kingman acoustic bass I tried I just don't know when I would use an acoustic fretted bass.

So anyways..... I thought I would leave wanting a new Stingray, new Dingwall, Cabronita P-Bass, etc. The only bass that I was truly drawn to the entire day was a Gibson Thunderbird. It was an odd thing but a very cool bass and I kinda want one now......

Anybody else have a "This Bass Suprised Me Today" story?

2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Today? No. But a few years ago... I ended up buying an EBMM Sterling 5H used. Previous to this, I never thought I'd like a Sterling/StringRay, or any single pickup bass. Just something in my head said "no" to them.
    I liked it quite a bit after spending a couple of days with it.
    Shortly after that, I found myself looking at Bongo's, and ended up buying one of those. Nearly immediately all other basses left the house. It was a 5HH, so I was back to my happy two pickup bass, but I never saw myself getting so entrenched in the EBMM camp at all. Now I can't see myself playing anything else... and haven't for about 4 years!

3. russpurdy

russpurdy

4. Ross AriaPro

Ross AriaPro

Same thing happened to me, except it was a Gibson Explorer.

Odd looking, awkward...but its a mysterious thing why some instruments just sing to me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

Hasn't happened recently. Probably my biggest surprise ever was the first time I ignored what my eyes were telling me and I picked up a Bongo. It sounded amazing. All of a sudden they didn't look so bad at all.

Eventually bought one on a ridiculous GC no interest sale and sold it for about what I paid for it 18 months later when the promotional financing ended (in other words I played it for free for 18 months). Actually was sad to see it go.

[​IMG]

7. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Just curious, why'd you sell it then?

8. project_c

project_c

I have one - I bought this cheap random no-name short scale acoustic last week totally out of the blue, I wasn't really looking for an acoustic bass, never even been interested in them, I just randomly came across it in a shop, sat down to play it and just connected with it. It sounds amazing through my Bassman TV15, it's very easy to play and the action is really low for an acoustic, and it has thumpy old strings on it which adds loads of character to it. I haven't put it down for days, it's surprisingly great. Total impulse purchase, and by far my cheapest bass, but no regrets so far.

http://tb1.talkbasscdn.com/attach/jpg.gif

Attached Files:

• ab1.jpg
      ab1.jpg
      File size:
      167.3 KB
      Views:
  9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

During this most recent Christmas shopping season, I was at the mall with my GF, and she wanted to shop in some stores I had no interest in, so I headed down to the guitar store and began looking at basses. I tried a couple, but nothing they had really interested me. I knew one of the guys working there, and we got chatting, and while we were doing so, I absent-mindedly grabbed a bass I never would have otherwise thought to try out, a very nicely-priced used Epiphone EBM-5, a black five-string PJ. The first thing I noticed was the very light weight (7.8 lbs, it turned out; compare that to my main bass, an 11.6 pound monster). The second thing I noticed was the oddly narrow string spacing, coupled with a neck profile that was decidedly baseball-battish. A weird combo, but my hand really likes it. The tone is P-esque, with a bit more midrange punch, which goes into growl mode quite nicely when you dig in. So happy solstice to me! :smug:

I figured it's a lightweight, versatile five-string with a "rock" look, which would be perfect for those four-hour cover band gigs that I refuse to do. But hey, never say never. At least that way you can justify your GAS. ;)