Posting audio/video links to hear where ur coming from?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by davidhilton, Jan 29, 2014.

1. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

Who else thinks TB'ers should back up what they're saying with recordings/video's?
    I see a lot of people here that make bold statements and call out other players in aggressive, combative, and mean fashion. I always check to see if the person making the statement has any music/video links on their profile page- most of the time they don't. The ones that do, usually know what their talking about. So I'm suggesting to go ahead and have some audio examples so we can all hear where ur coming from. That way each of us can make our own call as to whether what ur saying is valid or not- not just by the text, but actually by the music you play. just an idea...
    www.basslessonslosangeles.com

"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"
    - anonymous
  2. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    I don't see the meanness but I think its a grand idea...
  3. davidhilton

I think its a good idea too. And yes, Ive seen some real mean posts between TB'ers.
  4. davidhilton

Dude, Gerbil Turds rawk!!!!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    Thanks, weve added more songs...whats your reverbsite. We just did a song about a dental experience I had on my 21st bday. Feel free to shoot me your reverbsite.PM...:thumbup::eek:
  7. davidhilton

8. markjsmithbass

markjsmithbass Supporting Member

David, those song clips from your trio are greeeeat!!!
  9. davidhilton

They're alright. Not playing fretless anymore though...
  10. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

Agree 100%
  11. the_stone

the_stone

Sure, if someone is posting about how they're a monster slap player and they could make Wooten cry like a baby, they should be able to back that up with their playing.

But since this is posted in the General Instruction forum - I don't see how my posting a video of myself playing Mustang Sally or Misty makes any comment I might make about theory more or less legitimate. Some of my theory professors weren't great players, but that didn't mean they couldn't hear or understand music at a very deep level. If I say that a key signature with 2 sharps probably signifies D major, or that the same piece with a lot of A# accidentals means it's probably in b-minor, are those comments any less valid because I don't have videos in my profile? And what happens when 2 people have opposite opinions - is the guy who's right the one who can post a recording of himself playing "Donna Lee" faster than the other guy? And is someone on these forums actually going to come out and say "So-and-so doesn't know what he's talking about - just go listen to him try to cop the bassline to 'Peg'."

I agree that people can get snippy when it comes to some of the discussions on theory, but I also think some of that frustration comes from people who actually know what they are talking about, and are trying to explain what are actually very deep concepts, having to compete with people saying "ya brah, just play d mixolydian over that and itll sound great, yo!" Honestly, when it comes to the more theory-oriented posting around here, I'm more inclined to take seriously the guys who can write clearly and logically and are willing to back up what they say with sources.
  12. davidhilton

Well I have a different opinion I guess. If someone is strongly arguing that playing a lydian from the root of a -7b5 chord, and some people are thanking them for their scholarly insight w...then I say, let us hear you play over those changes with ur choice of notes. All my harmony/theory professors were bad ass players, and we wouldn't just take some statement written on the board as fact. We would have it played by, sometimes students in class, but most of the time the teachers. The guy who taught "Chord Scales for Improv" was a great teacher...and someone like Bruce Gertz or Eddie Tomassi, were amazing players, and so were all my teachers...so sorry, I never had ur experience of, "Some of my theory professors weren't great players" why would you listen to them- just on faith? Now Im probably talking more about the discussions of improvising over changes and not some Hindemeth analysis of a Stravinsky passage..but u get where I'm coming from right? I get where ur coming from.
  13. markjsmithbass

I think a lot of this depends on the actual stuff being discussed. You don't really need John Patitucci as your tutor to be told how to build basic chords within a key. A lot of theory stuff is pretty scientific in that the information is based in standard demonstrable facts. The overtone series is the overtone series. Scales are scales, chords are chords.

Buuuuut.... I do know where you're coming from in that some of the debates on here can get quite heated and some people have different views on how things work. If someone is going to defend some method of teaching or aspect of theory, it stands to reason that it's better coming from someone that has an understanding of how it can relate to a practical, real-world setting.

I've never really met a good teacher that can't play well, but I've met loads of good players that can't teach. Imparting of knowledge is sooooo far removed from being a good musician. Once in a while you get guys that do both to a very high level. People like Charlie Benacos.

I get what you mean in terms of improv, but there's a lot more to bass playing than improv and jazz and I suspect that a lot of people visiting this forum might be wanting information and education in other areas. For instance, I've mentioned before how I'm frustrated that my lessons on slap bass have been way more successful than the others in terms of views but I think my other videos have much more useful material in terms of overall musicianship. And I've NEVER, EVER been paid to play warp speed slap triplets on a gig. I'm fully aware it's just about what's popular and particularly to do with what some 'less mature' players might view as 'impressive'. Sorry if that sounds condescending to anyone. It's not meant to be.

Ironically I think some of the most useful and educational information out there is not even exclusively 'bass' or 'theory' related. Some of Scott Devine's non bass playing lessons are hugely informative and as a beginner I wouldn't be aware of it. For instance, something as seemingly simple as Where To Set Up On The Stage can mean the difference between really locking in with a drummer and a possible struggle and I was really impressed that Scott wanted to cover that kind of stuff. Now, not many people get to hear Scott in a band situation online, just as there ain't much of me flying about, (partly because 99% of our work is gigging sideman orientated and doesn't get necessarily recorded) but Scott's a local lad I first met years and years ago and I can tell you first hand that the guy can play. But then again, I don't really need to know the guy's a monster to trust his advice. I think it's fairly obvious.

On the other hand, I'm quite laidback when it comes to this stuff and with opinion based stuff I try to always stress that it is just IMHO.

Mark
  14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Is he any relation to Charlie Banacos?

Anyway, sure you can use it as a penis measuring device if you want, but to me it's far more valuable to use it as a way to assess how much value someone's direction is going to be to me, personally.

That is to say, it's not so much that I'd be listening for "good" or "bad" as for relevancy to what I'm trying to get out of music. If someone is advocating a certain improvisational approach and specific way to develop it and they post a recording of them playing, I can make the following assessments:
    1. they aren't able to achieve the level of playing necessary to illustrate their approach, so following their "path" doesn't look like it gets you anywhere
    2. they are able to illustrate the approach well and it just isn't any kind of playing that appeals to me
    3. they are able to illustrate their approach and it is a direction that I'd like to take my playing, so I should try the methodology that they are advocating
  15. markjsmithbass

:oops:
  16. davidhilton

Dude- I'm right with u...when a beginning student walks in and sits down...i can tell just by the way they're holding the bass whether they're going to be musical or not. Might sound like a harsh judgement, but its just my real life experience.
  17. davidhilton

Sounds about right to me.
  18. davidhilton

Dude, when anyone brings up the wore "scientific" when talking about music...i just cringe....IMO thats why a lot of people on
    talkbass are learning completely wrong....FYI, just listening to Scott Devine blow over the backing trax the way he does...u can tell he's a really good player...
  19. markjsmithbass

I just mean that some musical facts are gonna be the same or should be the same no matter who teaches it. I'm not a massive fan of Jeff Berlin's constant reminders about his lesson content being academic rather than art but he does have a point when it comes to some of that stuff. It's only the standard things that most people on here won't even have to think about but a C major triad is spelled C,E,G no matter who teaches it and there are a lot of bass players that don't even understand those basics.

btw, I'm simply justifying the use of the term scientific. I know I'm getting away from your original post that I do agree with. For the most part. :)
  20. davidhilton

Thats interesting...I always refer to "music theory" as harmony knowledge, and vocabulary...theory, really? again, not a science, its an art. What a lot of ppl term, music theory IMO is just vocabulary or building up ur palette/toolbox. More than likely theres some ppl who really know scientifically how to mix paint, in order to achieve the perfect color they want. However, they may not be able to paint at all (real subjective topic i know:rolleyes::roll eyes:). Or maybe someone just has the most magnificent set of tools but they can't rebuild an engine because they're teacher only knew how to tighten the truss rod- that reference is to me yo!!! lol Like when a lot of students get confused when they read from the real book and the chord in "All of me" is E7. A lot of students think you play Mixo over it, with natural 9 and natural 13..and I say mixo with b9 and b13 is actually diatonic in Cmaj. The only issue was they're vocabulary was limited i.e. they thought its a dom chord so you play mixo right? Thats why I feel Talkbass should have a little more quality control over whats being posted as music theory" teachings. Ive read some posts that are filled with wrong information, yet someone who is new will take it as fact. Quite frankly, thats why i suggest to my students not to go onto Talkbass, because its filled with simply wrong info. Enough bull crap on my part I have to shed "Humpty Dumpty" for an upcoming session- which IMO s a good melody to learn on bass- "Inner Urge" as well. Re: Jeff Berlin....his teaching approach is way over the top opinionated some times, but the fact that he's such a good player, I'll give him listen and go beyond his personality.
    Laterz all!
    Disclaimer: Everything I post is only my opinion man!!!!
  21. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Here's one that succinctly summarizes the TB experience...
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014