Potential band member (audition tomorrow) isn't prepared, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by James_E, Feb 18, 2014.

?

What would you do if an auditioner doesn't have a song ready day before audition.

1. It's only a sign that it'll be a pattern later. Don't bother and pass on this person.

93 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. Well, at least he emailed me in advance to tell me (day before audition) let him come anyway.

61 vote(s)
    34.7%
  3. No biggie. Let's jam!

22 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. James_E

James_E

I gave a guy 5 songs (easy songs too..) for guitar/keys, over a month ago. Set a date for tomorrow. Clarified arrival time, setup, play, teardown etc. I even emailed a few times asking if he needs help prepping the songs.

We are a band that gigs. We have taken some time off recently over the winter but are getting ready for spring/summer gigs.

Today I get an email "is it a big deal if I dont have song XXX ready for tomorrow"?

What would you do? See the poll.
  2. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Pass...next!
  3. mellowinman

mellowinman Unmanageable Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This depends. How hard are the songs? You say "easy" but do you play guitar/keys? Does he sound great on 4 of them? I would audition him, and see what happens.

I would suggest to him that he work on song XXX as much as possible, so you can at least run through it.

Maybe he's a perfectionist.

Maybe he's a slacker.

Not enough information at this time.
  4. James_E

James_E

I used to do those songs when I was on guitar/keys. Bass player left so I'm going back to the low end.
    Songs on guitar:
    Fire Woman
    Paralyzer
    Remedy (By seether)

Guitar/keys:
    Radioactive

Keys only:
    Rolling in the deep.
  5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    This ^

At least he was up front about it, which says alot about his honesty and willingness to communicate.
  6. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

A month is plenty enough time for anyone to learn 5 easy songs (even not-so-easy ones) on their particular instrument. Not a good sign. Still, it couldn't hurt to follow thru with his audition. At least he is prepared and wants to show up with 4 songs..
  7. James_E

James_E

Alright some good quick feedback! Thanks! Plus got an email from another of my current band members about it. We're concerned, but going to go ahead with it. It's only 1/2 hour audition. I emailed the auditioner asking him to do his best, reiterated the chords on both keys and guitar, and asked him to come anyway.
  8. bassdog

bassdog

I want to audition and really want to get the gig. What 5 songs do you need me to learn for the audition tomorrow? I'll give each song one hour of study. That should just about do it. See you tomorrow. Oh and I play a Precision bass. Is that a problem? Just saying.:ninja::ninja:

Bd
  9. James_E

James_E

bassdog: flights from Atlanta would cost alot. You sure you want to?
  10. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

If he were unprepared as in, didn't get anything done, I'd give him a second and final chance.

If it's just one song, go along with it. I'm certain that any further issues (with the other songs for example) will reveal themselves during the audition. If he can play, it will be apparent - in my opinion any potential in a player will reveal itself even if he's unconscious of it.
  11. bassdog

bassdog

"bassdog: flights from Atlanta would cost alot. You sure you want to?"

You make me smile. Actually I was just posting a for example type situation to demonstrate that if somebody really wants a gig, do the work asked. You need 5 songs to be ready for the audition with a month notice? I'd have a whole set ready to play in a month. That's just me though and why I get frustrated with some folks I play with who can't seem to learn one damn song at home for a week to be ready to rehearse it. Good luck. Maybe the guy will be great. Bob
  12. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

it depends on the scene.

If you are paying this person to audition, or have some paying gigs coming up that you need them on, then yes, they should learn the songs.
    If not, just meet the person, get a sense of their personality. if they are cool then they can learn the songs later.

I did this once on an audition. an original metal band. I listened to the CD while driving to the audition, so pretty much walked in cold, save for a couple riffs I heard while driving.
    The main singer guitarist was kinda pissed that I didn't learn things note for note.
    I told him, "look, play a NEW riff, let's see what happens?"
    He looked at the drummer, said OK, cracked into a kinda power metal riff that sounded pretty good, I started galloping along, locked into what the drummer was doing, and in about 30 minutes we wrote the first song on what many consider to be our best record to date.

that was 12 years ago, and we are still together. drummer bailed, but he & I somehow made it this far and are still going.

point is, just meet the person, see what they are all about.
  13. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

He maybe a perfectionist, but I'd try him on all of the songs anyway. He may surprise you and himself.

A shorter time frame, but similar situation...
    I was given a 40 song list a few weeks ago to help out a friend, I'd only ever played about 5 of them and had not ever listened to the majority of the others. I had 4 days to learn them. I put all of them on my iPod and listened to them on the way to work, at work and on the way home every day and every night after the kids went to bed I went through as much as I could. The day of the gig, it went pretty well. If I can do that in 4 days, anyone can do 5 songs in a month. I'm not the best, I'm not the brightest, but if you put your mind to it, you can do it.
  14. James_E

James_E

Yeah I know.. I was being funny too. The most time I've ever had for an audition was 2 weeks, and did around 12-15 songs.
  15. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

he still has a day left...how hard can it be?
    I'd be inclined to tell him not to bother...he's had a month...but you never know what hurdles got in
    his way during the past month...but then a month is a long time to learn 5 songs....considering
    that I'd probably pass on the guy with the expectation that he procrastinates too much and down the road it may become an issue.
  16. Troph

Troph

I play with guitarists who don't know songs ahead of time often, but they rarely admit it and warn me about it ahead of time. :)

I wouldn't assume the worst until you've met the dude.
  17. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

It's easier not to hire someone than it is to fire someone you already hired. If this is the guys work ethic, you might want to think about passing.
  18. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

A month should be plenty of time to learn 5 songs.
  19. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1. Yep.

Its a working band - Next!!!
  20. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I didn't realize he had a month. A month is plenty of time to learn 5 songs. There might be a possibility that he might be rusty on either keys or guitar, and he's hesitant about on one of the tunes. But, you might not want someone who is rusty either.