Potential Project on the rise - 1968 Fender Coronado Wiring Harness

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alienstarguest, Nov 4, 2013.

1. alienstarguest

alienstarguest

First off I found a piece on Ebay that truly intrigued me. It is an original NOS (New Old Stock), like new still in Box, wiring harness for a 1968 Coronado II Bass. It has the 2 DeArmond Pickups, the switch, the pots. Petty much everything. While I don't actively look for parts like this all the time, still, I have never come across anything like it.
    I paid $250. What do you all think? I was the only bidder, maybe its not that special.

Next related topic: I will start doing some research on Coronado bass projects. I am not in a rush and will find the right project body/neck etc. when and if it comes along. If you all have any links that might help that endeavor, I would appreciate it. I already own a 67 Coronado II guitar and like it. I know these are not for everyone. But to me they are a good addition to the arsenal. Thanks again.
  2. vin*tone

vin*tone

Sorry to be a downer but....

IME you will probably find a complete vintage Coronado for less than buying all the parts as a project.

Oh and - installing a wiring harness in a semi-hollow bass is less fun that poking your eyes out with a fork. Try googling the process. It involves attaching a series of rubber tubes to the pots and drawing the whole harness through the pickup holes. If you're lucky they won't be tangled or come unstuck - meaning you won't have to start all over again. It's rectum clenchingly frustrating.
  3. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

what vin*tone says. Buying a bass parts per parts will set you back more than buying a complete bass. The best chance of finding parts and not paying top-dollar is registering at fora like offsetguitars.com and shortscale.org, and hope for the best. They have a vivid marketplace with spare parts that go for less than their ebay counterparts. Biggest issue will be finding the bridge and the correct, short-stemmed lollipop tuners (only used by the Coronado & Mustang, stock Fender-tuners as used on the P & J won't fit). A Coronado guitar-body CAN be modified to accept a bass-neck, by rerouting the neckpocket.

The 250USD for the complete wiring-tree is fairly cheap, a friend of mine bought 2 pickups for that price, excluding the pots. They are rare and seldom found (only the Coronado used them, and the leftover stock was sold by Fender to H.S.Anderson).

Apart from that: quirky little basses, can sound funky, I like them:
  4. alienstarguest

alienstarguest

Both excellent and informative posts. Thank you my fellow TalkBassers. I do have slight dread with regards to wiring a hollowbody. You can use extra wire or as mentioned tubing, that being surgical tubing because it fits on the end of pot shafts. I did it once before on a cheapo hollowbody guitar. Have to go slow, pray, and have the patience to restart when it does not work the first half dozen times. Its not a monumental feat tho.

As a previous poster mentioned, my sentiments were that this was a fairly cheap deal (the harness and pickups, pots etc). It wasn't just that is was taken from another bass ..... this appears to be a wholly boxed NOS part. Like new, just some 45 years later.

Thanks mr. fingers for providing those web sites. Those were not on my radar.

I would also tend to agree that getting a whole bass is usually cheaper than trying to part one together. Especially given the price of vintage fender parts. I see they want $75 for a friggin thumbrest. One thing I want to know is how do you accurately date a thumbrest? Am I missing something? Maybe that is a good topic for another thread. The thing is if you are not in a rush, I do believe you can collect that parts at less than market price, learn some new things, and have a good result.
  5. Register to disable this ad