1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Potentially Building A Rack - Plugigng it all in

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by travishatcher, Jan 30, 2013.

1. travishatcher

travishatcher

Hey All,

Up until now I've been a bass->pedals->amp player. Don't get me wrong, this is great - but I have been looking at expanding my rig for different types of performances.

Sometimes a band only plays a set in a line-up of bands so I don't haul all of my gear, but if we're playing the standard four hour night I generally bring more of my stuff with me as I'm not sharing a back-line and I have time in sound-check to tweak and season to my personal flavour.

Anyway. I've recently purchased a Behringer V-Amp Pro and I've been thinking of building a rack, given I play various genres I'm going to dial in specific tones through the V-Amp and have some "go-to" tones. I know there's a lot of Behringer hate out there but a) I like them, and b) I'm not going to drop serious coin until I know this is the set up I want. I thought a big pedal board was the set up I wanted (how wrong I was!)

So, in the aim's of keeping things simple as I don't need rack effects (given my dedicated pedals) I was thinking of the following:

EQ (15 band)
    Tuner (got it)
    V-Amp (got it)
    Bass head

I use the following pedals now (in no particular order):

Tuner (my rack tuner doesn't seem to like my active basses) MXR 10 Band-EQ
    Chorus
    Flanger
    Fuzz
    Compresser
    Wah
    Volume
    Synth
    Volume

I swap the pedals in and out depending on the gig/genre/set-list.

I was thinking of the following for a wiring ...

BAss -> V-Amp (pedals in the EFX loop) -> Tuner -> EQ channel 1 (mic in channel 2) -> Amp Head

Does that sound right? I've heard I should AND shouldn't put my pedals in the effects loop (I'll obviously be removing the tuner and the EQ pedals)

Should I only put some in the loop? If so which ones?

I've spent more time on playing that I have on the tech side of things but now I want to learn more.

Cheers, and thanks in advance!
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Check out the Faq linked in my sig for articles explaining many of the tech aspects about using fx loops, rack gear, etc.
  3. travishatcher

travishatcher

Will do! Thanks!