1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Potentiometer Value Question - Easy One (I Think)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by circuitspore, Feb 13, 2014.

1. circuitspore

circuitspore

What would happen if I used a 5k pot for the tone control on a Jazz Bass instead of a 250k pot? I'm talking standard V/V/T jazz, not stacked V/T V/T controls.

2. Crater

Crater

It would be like having your tone control on "0" all the time. Actually it would go from "0" (zero) to 1/50th "on".

Wait until you can get the proper pot.

3. line6man

line6man

This.

4. circuitspore

circuitspore

Hmmm. Dang. Well, it's already wired in, but done by accident. Thought I had three 250k pots but there was a 5k in the mix. Just so happened that it wound up as the tone control.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. circuitspore

circuitspore

Also, thanks for the answers guys.

7. --Vissinger --

--Vissinger --

It seems before posting you already had the answer.

How did it behave when you played it and adjusted the control?

8. circuitspore

circuitspore

Well, not necessarily. I figure that just because I know I screwed one thing up, doesn't mean it's directly related to or totally responsible for the overall outcome. Hence why I asked folks in the know what should happen in that scenario.

But to answer your question, it doesn't sound like the tone is on zero to me. But turning the pot doesn't seem to change the sound. Oddly enough, I discovered the screw up when I went to turn the tone down after playing a particular riff.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

it's probably like having the tone pot on "2" or "3".