1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pots: 250k vs 500k??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by m3llo, Jul 12, 2005.

1. m3llo

m3llo

I am about to do some rewiring to my bass. It currently has the standard factory 500k pots, but the advice I got included to replace that with 250k pots (which is much bigger in size, btw).

What is the difference between them? How does that effect the tone?

2. ted13

ted13

larger pot may or may not fit but size really make no difference i have had more loose shaft large cts pots than the mini pots. the lower value of the pot with give you more resistance and darken the sound of your bass a bit. typically bright pickups ie:single coils, strat tele jbass pbass use 250K and humbuckers like gibsons and others use 500K.

3. m3llo

m3llo

thanks, that helps alot. i know it's off the subject, but do you know anything about tone caps? The one currently installed reads: IO4J 2A0SG. And i got the .47mfd to replace it with... Know anything about that, or the difference in tone?

4. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass Supporting Member

104= .1mfd
    .47mfd will be a little less dark

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine

For the pots, the higher resistance valued pots attenuate less high frequency signal. The larger the capacitor value on the tone control, the lower the high frequency cutoff.

7. bassontherun

bassontherun

I'm working on a similar project (converting an Ibanez GSR 190 to DiMarzios and 250K mini-pots). Found the mini-pots at AllParts here in Houston.

www.allparts.com

P/N: EP-0185-000 $2 each!

8. duckbutter

duckbutter

can you use a 25k pot for a MM pup ? Will it "darklen" the sound at all, the one in my MTD is very bright.

9. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

No, you can't use a 25K pot on a high impedance PU. You would get very little volume, if any. If the bass uses 500K, try 250K. Or better yet, just back the tone control off a bit.

10. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

It all depends on the impedance/DC resistance of the PU. Typically the higher ("hotter") the PU, the higher the value of the pot. So traditionally Fender single coils, which are about 6 to 8K would use 250K, while hotter humbucking PUs used 500K.

However, many bass pickups are wound much hotter than some guitar pickups, such as the Fender Jazz (about 12k), but still use 250k. This might be because Fender already uses 250k, so they buy them in bulk, or because they wanted to take some high end off.

Likewise replacing a 500K pot with a 1M will give you more output and a brighter sound.

So unless you want a darker sound, stick with the 500k pots. You didn't say if you were replacing the PUs?

11. duckbutter

duckbutter

thanks..btw the 25K was a typo :)

12. m3llo

m3llo

sorry for asking a dumb question, but what is PU? I'm kinda new with this stuff...

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator

PU=PickUp

14. Mad_Phingers

Mad_Phingers

If using a gibson style mudbucker, will just a 500k vol pot give you a brighter tone, or should I replace the tone pot as well. I usually leave the tone all the way up...

15. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

Mad_Phingers:

You're answering a 4 year old post; I commend you !! :D

I will be interesting to see if the poster responds......

Mike

16. vin*tone

vin*tone

He's probably spent the last 4 years covered in cobwebs refreshing this page.

Waiting...

Hoping...

:bawl:

17. blubolt

blubolt

I just found this post through Google. I noticed the OP stIll hasn't responded. Lol! Helpful info though :bassist:

Still Waiting with the rest of you, lol! :D