1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pots cut out at 10

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HardPuncher, Jan 10, 2014.

1. HardPuncher

HardPuncher

Hi guys,

Just finished my second-ever rewire today, and ended up having exactly the same problem that I had last time: my pots all cut out at the maximum setting.

To make matters worse, the tone control seems to be acting like a Master volume, instead of a tone control.

Any ideas? Both basses are passive, and have an extra ground wire which connects a copper plate below each pup to the pot chassis. One is a Tokai PJ bass, the other is a Tokai Jazz. Both are wired with three 500k audio taper pots, with a single 0.47 cap on the tone pot.

I'm willing to accept that I've somehow burned out 6 pots, but it seems weird that they'd all only be burned out at maximum...
  2. line6man

line6man

You'll need to post pics and/or a diagram of what you did.

It is possible that the wipers are going beyond the resistive track at the extremes of the rotation. This would disconnect the pickups from the output.

When tone controls behave as volume pots, a number of things may be to blame. A shorted or leaking capacitor can cause the pot to control output impedance for all frequencies. If you are off by an order of magnitude in your capacitance selection, the frequency cutoff can be shifted, causing the same issue.
  3. antonspon

antonspon

The tone pot behaving as a master volume is a problem I've come across in my Gretsch and my Squier VM Jazz: the problem appears to be that the tone pot is positioned in circuit *after* the volume controls, unlike Gibsons, Ricks, etc. At full volume the tone works fine, but if you turn down a notch, the tone control's impedance affects output volume.

My solution in both cases was to replace the tone pot with a dual-gang pot: effectively each pickup has a separate tone, positioned ahead of the volumes, with a single control knob (still a master tone control, although a dual-concentric pot would give you individual tone controls in the same space).
  4. line6man

line6man

How well did that work out? When both volumes are up, you should see an increased total capacitance. The effect of each control on the output varies as the volumes are adjusted, as you have varying degrees of isolation. Or did you only use one capacitor?
  5. antonspon

antonspon

It works much better than the standard master tone pot (no pseudo-volume effect), but as with any passive bass, of course there is some loss of highs at lower volume settings. I used a separate cap for each tone (0.022mF for the neck and 0.047 - just my preference).