Pots for my MIJ Jaguar bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RocktimusBass, Jan 12, 2014.

1. RocktimusBass

RocktimusBass

I have a sweet MIJ Jaguar bass and I want to upgrade the pots and caps. It currently has mini 250k pots in it. I am going to upgrade to full size CTS pots and an orange drop cap. I tend to run the bass in series for the thicker sound. Would I benefit changing the pots to 500k or should I stick with 250k? Thanks in advance for any answers/advice you have!
  2. Lownote38

Lownote38

I would stick to 250. 500 won't gain you much if anything.
  3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nor will the Orange Drop cap.

If nothing's currently broken, leave it alone. When the pots get noisy, replace then.
  4. Toptube

Toptube

500k pots for the pickups into a 250k tone pot, generally yields more harmonic richness.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

+1.

A waste of time, unless the current pots and caps are not functional.
  7. Bongolation

Bongolation

And good luck on finding vertical pots for the upper pair on this atrocious novelty bass.

BTW, the apparent crunchiness in the verticals is not due to grubby wafers, but incredibly is due to mysterious self-generated static if that rat's nest active loom is too close to them. I haven't the faintest idea how it does it, but it does. :confused:

Move the wires well away from them and the pots become silent again. In forty years of working on instruments, I don't think I've never seen this happen on another instrument.
  8. RocktimusBass

RocktimusBass

Pots are getting noisy. Cleaned them a bunch with deoxit and they are still noisy and scratchy.