1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pots for Overwound P/ups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Awesome Sauce, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce

I just bought a set of Lindy 8% Overwound's in the Classifieds today, and now I'm wondering: since they have 8% less highs, should I go w/ 500k's or the standard 250k's? I bought the OW's b/c I want a growly, aggressive tone, but I'd still like to have the 'essence' of a jazz bass in there. So...500k- too bright? Just right? 250k- too dark? Or on the mark?

Oh, btw- I have .022µf and .047µf caps and I'll try both regardless, so they're not a factor.

Thanks all,

Rob
    :bassist:

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i'd say try 'em with the stock pots first; if that's too dark, try just adding a 500k audio tone pot. that gets you more clarity, but by dropping it back to maybe "7" you're exactly where you were before with the 250k tone on "10".

if that's still too dark, then 500k volumes would be the last step; you'll need linear 500k volumes, otherwise they drop off way too fast from "10".

3. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

Or you could tweek the amp.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

right, because adjusting the treble knob on the amp is exactly like tweaking the tone knob on the bass ;)

5. Register to disable this ad