Pots for volume, blend & tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Jan 21, 2014.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

I want to get rid of my active Ibanez electronics on my SR 406.

Can anyone recommend inexpensive pots. Rather than having 2 volumes I'd rather have a blend, but if it's that much easier I will go with 2 volumes. (Someone recommended 500k pots & a .047 cap.)

I don't know where the cap comes in (is it just one?). I don't have much electrical knowledge, but I am good at tweeking, modding, fine tuning home audio speaker crossovers. I do have a few Solen 600V .047 caps sitting around, but they might be too big.
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

don't bother, the ibanez pickups usually don't sound good without those ibanez electronics to boost them up.

(and yeah, those 600v caps are neither here nor there.)
  3. line6man

line6man

Passive pickups: 500k linear taper volume. 500k M/N blend. 500k audio taper tone. 0.047uF cap, or to taste.

Active pickups: 25k, 50k or 100k pots, depending on the signal impedance. 0.1uF cap, or higher, to taste.

(IMO.)
  4. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

These DX6 Ibanez Pickups are old & go with the late 90s or early 2000s SR406. I've read in this forum that the DX6 are almost a variation of EMG's "Mighty Mites", very close.

I do know that the output level is very low (not that output level per se is a big deal--that's why we have volume controls). The low B & E is very tight, deep & well defined, but as you go up, the sound becomes beamy, focused & dull.

Last year I switched out the DX6s for Carvin J99s. On the Ibanez the Carvins sounded lifeless, undynamic, absolutely no growl to those single coils, even with the treble (& midrange) turned way up. Last week I put those same Carvin single coils into my Squier DJAV & the difference was night & day--loud, dynamic, good growl with the treble turned up.

I haven't put the DX6s back in yet cuz one of them is destroyed--I am waiting for one I bought through eBay to arrive.

I hope what you say is true because I am lazy, unskilled, & don't want to mess with my axes much more. I am hoping that soldering back in those humbuckers brings those pricey TI Jazz rounds I bought to life, and thickens out the sound--particularly the .043 G string. (It seems TIs & single coils don't get along well, maybe the humbuckers will do the trick). Those TIs feel great, & seem to have potential.....but.

This question regarding passive pots is my plan B in case I don't get the sound I want. Either I get it or not. Based on my experience with the Carvin single coils, I am anticipating that I won't, but hope to be pleasantly surprised.
  5. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

I also have a terrific outboard EQ to use in lieu of not having onboard Eqing.
  6. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

As a matter of fact, the DX6s are passive (unlike the Bartolini MK1's that succeded these in the 506s). The volume control is 500k, indicating that the unit doesn't become active till the signal goes to the tone controls. The blend is unlabeled.

The question is, what's the best bang for the buck for 500k pots, and (duh) does the cap go right at the jack input?
  7. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Where's the best place to go to get the pots priced reasonably?
  8. Major Softie

Major Softie

CTS pots are pretty much the standard for good quality, and Allparts has them for around $6 apiece. How cheap are you looking to go???
  9. line6man

line6man

10. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Sheesh $6 a piece! Do I sound like I'm made of money? No, actually that sounds pretty good actually. Beats putting in a new on board preamp. But once I do bypass it, I might find walterw is right, that I won't like those DX6 pickups.
  11. Major Softie

Major Softie

:smug:
  12. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Guitar Center has CTS pots for about $6 each, Alphas for about $3-5 each.

Mouser Electronics has (almost) every imaginable pot ever, but it's a lot of digging and shipping would negate any savings unless you bought 100 at a time.

Allparts has a ton of great stuff and if you set up a pro account, everything is 1/2 price... but again, shipping adds cost.

BestBassGear.com has a lot of good stuff and free shipping over $50. Sign up for the newsletter and get 10% off.

Radio Shack sells pots and they range from unpredictable to absolute garbage.
  13. Major Softie

Major Softie

And, surprisingly, you seldom save any money getting that unpredictable to garbage quality. I consider Radio Shack to be an emergency source only.
  14. johnson79

johnson79

I got Alpha pots off Amazon for cheap. Couple bucks each, good quality.