Powdercoating a bridge, and what's this?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by keep it low, Jan 24, 2013.

1. keep it low

keep it low

Whats goin on erebudy, ive been playing drums for 4 years, bass for for about 6 months solid, really listening to bassists for about 3 years, and now I'm ready to start working on my bass. Ill be posting here alot haha, as I'm completely stripping apart my fender p "deluxe special" Which is active, and upgrading the fudge out of it. Im ordering a Mike pope preamp and some emgs to recreate vic wooten's sound and putting it in all by myself, and trying to take advantage of the powdercoating dept in the sheet metal factory I work in. So far I've done the knobs and the input jack plate, and I'd like to do the bridge as well but I found this when I took it off. 1359015079837.jpg does this serve as a ground? If so would it stop me from being able to coat it? , Whats all that white powder, and also whats this stray hole with more powder in it
    1359015015039.jpg

And what about the tuners? Do they need complete contact with the strings as well?

2. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

The stray hole is for ground wire. If you use active pickups this wont be needed. You can powder coat all of your hardware. If you use the ground wire with passive PU just sand the paint off a small spot underneath bridge.

3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

+1.

Might be good to use the ground wire anyways since it was used with the stock active electronics.

4. Flashback Bass

Flashback Bass

The white powder is buffing compound that gets stuck in the holes when the body is buffed out.

They don't take the time to clean it out at the factory because time is money!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. keep it low

keep it low

yea in Mexico, time is money and money is drug cartel protection. I'll powdercoat it and see what happens, I'll ask my tech what he thinks too, but this thing's going to look badass when im done.

7. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

White powder?from Mexico. The hole under pickguard is from cnc. jig I believe.

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    There's really no reason to clean the buffing compound because it wont be seen unless the bridge is off. You really don't need to powdercoat the bottom of the bridge, but if you do, just sand off a small section of the coating on the bottom where the wire is and you'll be fine.

Also, EMG is the only electronics company I've seen that advises against the bridge ground because of their design. Unless you're running their active pickups (I don't think it applies to their preamps), keep the bridge ground.

9. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

When the body planks are examined, a more skilled worker marks/drills a locating point for the automated machinery, so the machine operator is just left with the duty of indexing and orienting the plank for machining.

No.

In case of passive pickups, the strings have to be grounded, so the saddles and the intonation screw holes have to be bare metal. And obviously you have to run a grounding wire from the grounding point in the control cavity to the bridge.

While You're at it, do the life-saver cap mod also.

Regards
    Sam