Power amp as a head

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by richtea, Nov 19, 2013.

1. richtea

richtea

Ok here we go. If this has been covered before somewhere, and it probably has because I haven’t had an original idea for a long time. Please excuse me, I did do a search. I’m considering putting a rig together using a high end graphic eq and a quality power amp. For cabs I’m thinking a pair of 15-6 Fearfulls. I’m not really looking for colour from my rig, just quality signal reproduction. Has anyone tried this? Or similar? Oh yeah, I like the sound my bass makes plugged in to my Hi-Fi though headphones. Thanks in advance guys.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You will still need a Pre to drive the amp. I suggest you look at something tranparent like a channel strip. The ART Pro Channel II is pretty much the best bang for you buck out there right now.

As perspective, I used to run an ART PC II in to a bridged IPR 1600 pushing a fEARful 1515/66/1. It was pretty glorius.
  3. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I'm not 100% positive, but I think you are still going to need a preamp of some kind, as the graphic EQ cannot drive a power amp on it's own. As always, I may be wrong about that.
  4. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    You need more juice to drive a power amp.
    +1 what CL400 says - I run the very same setup (because of his reviews btw) and it's awesome. The ART PC is hard to beat. It is transparent without being sterile and gives you more control than you'd ever need, especially with a fEARful
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dincz

dincz

Unless you're talking about an EQ pedal, chances are it's designed to work with line level signals, so although it will probably drive a power amp's input, it will need a preamp in front of it.

For a clean, flat setup, a channel strip/mic preamp would be a good option. The ART mentioned above is good value.
  7. richtea

richtea

Thanks for the reply. This is the kind of thing I am envisaging . So I'm not as mad as I thought. You say "used to run", out of interest, why did you stop using this rig?
  8. johnpbass

johnpbass

There may be a graphic EQ out there that can drive a power amp - maybe something like the Whirlwind Bass 10 - but as CL400 and jnewmark say, you'll probably need an actual pre.
  9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a lot of options in my stable of amps. I found myself using my B1500 a lot more, or running a Aguilar TH in front of a Crest ProLite 3.0. I had to make some room, and let the ART and IPR go. Very good amp, very good pre, just wasnt getting enough play time to warrent keeping.
  10. dincz

dincz

Pretty much any pro, rack-mount EQ will drive a power amp but they're designed for line level input so you'll need a preamp between the bass and the EQ.
  11. richtea

richtea

Thanks Guys, I will have a look at the gear suggested. Its great to hear about combinations that are tried and tested.
  12. richtea

richtea

Pre-amp suggestions?
  13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Avalon U5 or M5.
  14. dincz

dincz

15. johnpbass

johnpbass

I run an Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal into a Peavey IPR1600. Great combination IMO!
    I also have an Eden WTDI that I run into the IPR - also sounds really good.
    For rack mounts, plenty of options depending on your tonal prefererences - I've used Demeter and SansAmp RBI and really liked both of those.
  16. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

+1
  17. jmcorn

jmcorn Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Praise and Worship bassist member #1232
    I have used the Ampeg SVP-pro and SVP-CL. Both sound great. The pro version can have noise though.
    But the one that surprised me was the Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal. It sounded very nice as a preamp.
  18. richtea

richtea

I'm really looking for the graphic eq option. I miss looking back at my old trace GP12 and knowing at glance what is happening. I have what I consider to be a selection of pretty good gear right now, (GBE750, M boogie , old fender rumble) and it sounds pretty good. I am just getting to the less is more kind of mind-set. Parametric's work well but there is a bit of calculation to working them well with freq sweep's
  19. Mehve

Mehve

Just my own two cents-"clean" doesn't necessarily equal what you get from your headphones. I've run through micro mixers and channel strips to power various high quality phones, and there's still a significant difference between them and what comes out of good studio monitors. So I'd definitely try before you buy.
  20. nojj

nojj Guest

I'm running a BBE 383 on the front end of my Crown.
    No problems.
  21. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member