Power amp - Behringer EPQ900 - any owners out there?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dincz, Jul 15, 2012.

1. dincz

dincz

As the title says. Now that these amps have got past the vaporware stage and are actually available, any feedback from owners would be appreciated (rather than speculation based solely on the Behringer name).

EDIT: Behringer's blurb says back-to-front cooling airflow whereas the spec sheet says right-to-left. Which is true?

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

http://www.behringer.com/assets/EPQ304_EPQ450_EPQ900_P0A1S_QSG_EN_ES_FR.pdf

Looks good to me. $230 for a 1U rack amp with 3 year warranty.

RMS Both channels driven (many amps give ratings for only on channel driven)

275W RMS @ 4 ohms a channel
    175W RMS @ 8 ohms a channel

580w @ 8 ohms bridged

Looks like front to side cooling. No vents on the back. The chassis is smaller than 19" wide to allow for cooling.

3. dincz

dincz

Thanks for the reply but I've already been through the specs. It looks perfect for my needs and seems to be a little sturdier than the iNukes. 1U is a plus!

I was wondering about reliability and hoped to find some users out there. Unfortunately it seems that B's market is more in the DJ field and bass players are mostly prejudiced against B so hard to get informed opinions from the bass world.

Given the likely airflow route you mentioned, how would this fare in a rack case?

4. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Why would reliability be any different in the DJ world than in the bass world?

If anything, the highly compressed signals that DJs typically run through their systems would stress an amp more at high output than a bass gutar signal would.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dincz

dincz

I haven't thought about that question and not sure why you asked. If you mean why don't reports from DJ's count, well I'm sure they do but I don't move in those circles and haven't come across any first-hand reports from either bassists or DJ's anyway. I play bass and it seemed reasonable to ask other bass players.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Expectation Is The Root of All Suffering. Supporting Member

1u is highly alluring.

Wish someone else would make a well priced 1u power amp besides Behringer.

Sorry, but I just cannot trust Behringer at the gig. That adds stress.

8. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Sorry.
    I misread your post to mean that you'd found reliabilty reports from DJs. (I really need to stop scanning quickly and pay more attention to things before posting.)

I've never used Behringer bass gear, but I have Behringer processors, EQs, etc. (some of it bought used) in my PA rack. Haven't had any issues other than trying to decifer the manuals.

My youngest son has had a Behringer V-Amp (guitar version) for many years. It stopped working while still under warranty but was promptly repaired by an authorized service center. No issues since.

9. dodgydj

dodgydj

Only time an amp has ever packed up on me mid gig was a Behringer 450 watt combo, I forget the exact Model number, soon went back to Trace Elliot.

10. ScotSea

ScotSea

I don't have the 900, but the EPQ304. I have had it about a year, and it works fine. I use it with a Behringer crossover and bi-amp my keyboard set-up. I don't gig with it, so it stays in my practice room.

It does not have back-to-front cooling. There is a small fan that blows air out the side of the unit.

11. dincz

dincz

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately the EPQ series are quite different from one model to another. Some are class AB, some class H, and others class D, so they could be pretty variable in terms of performance and reliability.