Power amp on way; now I must trust BDDI

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by fnordlyone, Dec 7, 2013.

1. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

I've been able to get some nice sounds using my Sans BDDI in conjunction with my Peavey Basic 112's pre amp. I like to crank the low and high mid knobs on the Peavey while blending in the Sans, which I haven't found an affective way of boosting mid range on its own. I've just purchased QSC RMX 1450:hyper:, and will now be using the BDDI for all my tone shaping.

I want to pull in lots of low mid. I guess this is yet another "What are your settings on your BDDI," but this one focusing on NOT using a bass amp's pre, but going straight into a power amp. I'll go into 2x12 or 2x10 cab from there. I like tight punchy lows.
    any advice, vets?
    thanks as all ways,
    f n o r d !
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Might be the wrong amp to go with BDDI, pretty sure QSC like it hot.
  3. cableguy

cableguy

I used mine with something similar to the fat tube settings. Remember the blend knob is your friend. I usually run mine between noon & 3. I also sent mine to Putnum guitars and Mike added a mid control on mine, so mid suck is no issue. It's no basically a RBI in a box. Very versatile DI depending on what you want out of it.
  4. fnordlyone

What does an upgrade like that cost? I have had some recent success by just turning the high off and bass at 3'oclock but still sounds better when I supplement with Peavey's Basic's dual mid knobs. So maybe I should consider a mid knob now with my new set up.
    thank,
    fnord!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fnordlyone

This is the first I've heard of this about QSC power amps. Is this based on personal experience with trying SansAmp BDDI into a QSC RMX series?
    thanks,
    fnord!

p.s.
    I have found my BDDI is rather hot to my Peavey combo, keep -10db Gain engaged. I play passive emg pickups.
  7. cableguy

cableguy

I believe it was $60. I've run mine into a Carvin HD1500. 9V type pedals usually don't have a lot of headroom or drive some power amps fully. But they will still get gig level loud. (at least mine does) Just remember if you're using this as a DI to FOH as well as an preamp, don't be too drastic with EQ. That will make the soundguys job much harder.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

The amp in question has an input sensitivity of "1.15V (+3.4 dBu)", which could be worse. I don't know what the BDDI can produce.
  9. fnordlyone

I'm looking for practice level volume that sounds good… I'm at least a year away from doing my first gig. I started playing bass in April.

Must admit the 'so called' manual of BDDI doesn't kick too many facts… but, this might be the answer to my mid range conundrum:
    quoting "manual"
    Adjusting Mid-Range Content: The mid-range level of SansAmp Bass Driver DI is preset. Boosting Bass and Treble gives you the equivalent of a “mid-cut” where the relative mid-range level is lower than the Bass and Treble frequency levels. Cutting Bass and Treble is the equivalent of a “mid-boost” where the relative mid-range level is higher than the Bass and Treble frequency levels. NOTE: The overall output level will change in relation to the adjust- ments you make with the EQ controls.You can compensate accordingly with the Level control.
    Sadly, this pamphlet made no impression on me when I first bought the BDDI. So, I did the unmanly thing and went and read the directions again. ;)
    Well, I hope my BDDI plays nice through my new to me QSC, even if I'm not giving power amps max input level (RMX 1450 has WAY more power than my cabs can handle).
    f
    fnord!
  10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

Another thing you can do to increase the mids (and overall versatility) of your BDDI/preamp is add an external eq... like a boss geb7 or if you are really broke the behringer copy does the job. Boosting about 120hz should do it.

I run an Aguilar TH di pedal with a couple eq pedals into a QSC 2402 or a Carvin HD1500. Pretty much a bullet proof setup.
  11. fnordlyone

I guess my only fear is introducing any extra noise by adding other devices, but an EQ device, I suppose would self correct? I will test it out.
  12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I use trace GP7 with my BDDI deluxe on my direct to desk gigs.
  13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

A quality eq should not add noise unless you crank the highs.

Also make sure to use the proper power supply as not doing so could also increase noise among other things.
  14. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Those little ART tube preamps also work really well for boosting into an amp + a wee bit of tube goodness and they're pretty cheap!
  15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

a BDDI will work perfectly into a QSC RMX, did it myself for years. set the amp's 30Hz filter on and clip limiter off to get the most balls out of it.

if you want more mids out of it, back the blend knob away from 100% to bring in some of the non-"sansamp'ed" tone.

my own taste is for the deeper, grindier rock tone of the BDDI on 100% blend; i just keep bass and treble around noon, maybe boost the bass to 1 o'clock for a fat bass sound that still has some clank and grind but stays out of the way of the guitars and vocals.