Power Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jdwhitak, Nov 8, 2013.

1. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

I plan on buying a Sansamp RPM and I'm looking for a power amp to go with it. I plan on just having one cab. Can I just run one side of the stereo pair or do I have to run it in bridged mode?

I also wouldn't mind some suggestions on power amps and cabs. I just play at home so I don't need something really powerful.

Thanks!!!

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You could use it straight into the effect return of whatever amp or combo you have now.

Any power amp will work for playing at home. Modern amps with DSP are so cheap you might as well get one. Peavey, Crest are top of the pops bang for buck.

Any interest in playing out, ever? If not, a 1x10 in the corner is kinda ridiculous for a pro amp setup, but so is anything bigger.

3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yes.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

What do you have on hand now? As my distinguished Kiwi colleague pointed out, you can run just about any SansAmp product into an existing amp. Plan on gigging anytime soon? No problem...snag a used power amp (...maybe a cab, too!) here on TalkBass and you're good-to-go.

I'm a big fan of the Crown DriveCore series and have seen more than a handful of bargains for well under $300.

Riis

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

Right now I just have a small practice amp. It doesn't have an power amp in.

No, don't have any desire to play out anymore. Been there and done that. I don't feel like putting up with all the bull.

The only reason I even need any kind of amp is because I'm doing ear training and I need to sing intervals. I just wanted to amplify the nice preamps that I have.

7. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Yes.

QSC's here work fine, one side or both.

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Okay, buy used and locally. You can probably find an older-technology QSC RMX 850 or such for ~$125. It's a lead-sled but you're not carting it all over creation so that's a non-issue. Cabs are also plentiful on CL and a good bargain if you know what you're looking for. My "bedroom" cab is a HyDrive 4 X 10 that I picked up in a bulk sale...can you say "overkill"?

Riis

9. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

You can run a pa power amp in bridge mode which will make it mono and basically combine the power from both sides of the amp. Some of them like my QSC that we use to power our practice pa have filters so you may want to have the 40hz filter on to improve efficiency but have the 100hz filter off because your using it for bass. I use a swr750x as a power amp for my RBI. Lots of bass heads have a power amp in. On my head the effects return actually works as a power amp in. If you have a head that can function as a power amp you might not have to buy anything. For some reason running my RBI with my head as a power amp it has a lot more power than running the head on its own. I'm guessing the pre on my head cuts power somehow.

Pa power amps are sometimes a bit cheaper but i would suggest looking for an older used head. For example of you had an ampeg 810e I'd say look for a used ampeg b4r you'd only be using it as a power amp anyways so it not havin the tube pre amp say the svt4 has won't make a difference and the power difference isn't really an issue as the b4r has plenty of power for a 810. I personally want to get my hands on an svt7 because of the weight. Another bonus of using a head as a power amp is you have a backup preamp available if for some reason the sans amp goes down. I've had my RBI since the month they came out and never had an issue with it but its still comforting to have a back up pre amp available if i need it.

10. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

OP, I own the Sansamp RPM and am delighted with it.

The RPM is very flexible and offers a wide variety of tone control.
    Drive goes from nothing to angry, full fuzz.
    The RPM is the only rack-mount Sansamp offering parametric (sweepable) Mids.

The output voltage on all Sansamp rackmounts is far more than enough to drive even the lowest sensitivity power amp.
    As noted above, a modest RMX-850 will do nicely.
    I owned one of these for a very long time, and it performed flawlessly. All 35 pounds of it.