1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Power amp recommendations for a Rusty Box??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SquareWaves, Nov 5, 2012.

1. SquareWaves

SquareWaves

I'm looking for a poweramp that will work well for most types of pedal preamps. Currently I have a Rusty box with a Tone Hammer possibly on the way. The Rusty Box is a strange beast in that it sound's different in a few effects returns, and by different, I mean not good. It sounds excellent in my old SWR workingman's 12. The line out of the Rusty puts out an unbalanced signal at full volume so I would need something with it's own volume control, which I don't see too often in my searching. I'm pretty clueless on the subject of power, but basically I'd need something with a lot of headroom, preferably 2 channel. Any information and help on this would be valued highly.
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Virtually all stereo power amps have level controls. The big question is whether your effects unit has the voltage swing required to drive a power amp fully.
  3. SquareWaves

SquareWaves

Good to know. The Rusty has enough juice for sure. I know I want a SS power amp but what should I be on the look out for?
  4. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Tons of options! QSC, Crown, Crest, Yamaha, Peavey... The RB puts out strong signal, so all you need is a decent power amp. I like the new Crest Pro-Lite 2.0, which produces gobs o' watts and weighs very little.
  5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

You haven't filled out your profile fully but if you are in the Americas take a look at the carvin.com website. Their DCM....L series are good value for money.
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1 to Prima and Paul, good suggestions.

What cabs are you looking to pair this with? If its a couple of 112's you dont need much before you are hitting their limits. If its a pair of 410s or so, then your needs will be different.

Personally I would look into the Peavey IPR 1600. No frills, but it has good sensitivity. If you should change up your signal path down the road it will work with most pedals as pre's.
  7. SquareWaves

SquareWaves

A pair of 410s is more along the lines of what I'm looking for. I want to make sure there will be a lot of headroom to push the low end.
  8. SquareWaves

SquareWaves

Maybe 2 8x10s actually.
  9. Tuned

Tuned

I second the IPR1600 recommendation, it has a higher sensitivity which is perfect for pedal preamping, which I do with my fretless. They can drive four 8x10's to tears, literally over 5 times the output of an SVT. They sound great too, a previous amp I used was a Bryston 3B, the IPR is on par. Can't complain about the price and weight either.