1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

power amp "speakertop" form factor

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Rockin Mike, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

I'm thinking about running my Sansamp Para Driver DI into a class D power amp instead of a traditional amp head.

I would want the power amp to sit on top of the speakers like a regular amp head. Does anybody make a small, super lightweight class D power amp in a "speakertop" form factor, i.e. no sharp corners, rubber feet, connections and controls conveniently placed, etc. ?

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I don't know about any power amps in that form factor but pretty much any head with a FX loop will do what you want. I know a few that use the GK MB500/MB800 to do exactly that...

3. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

You can still find SWR Amplites on ebay. There's also the Demeter 800D.

I recently did a comparison of my Amplite and a Demeter 800D power amp going into my Berg AE410 with a Jule Monique pre and to be honest, I prefered my Amplite's tone. It didn't have quite as deep low end but it's mids seemed more defined. I always use a HPF3 anyway so I kept my Amplite.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

me neither, and that seems a little odd!

a dictionary-sized 500-900w mono power amp would be a pretty cool thing i would think, and probably pretty cheap.

as it is i just use one side of a regular 2-space stereo power amp in a fuzzy-carpet rack box thrown on top of my cabs to take my sansamp signal; a little bulkier, but i get a nice big shelf to stash my wireless unit and various other things on it.

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rockin Mike

That's cool, but I run Markbass Traveler 102p's; they are only 12" wide left to right. A 19" rack component just wouldn't work up there.

The SWR amplite is a little underpowered at 400w, and the Demeter is a little overpriced at $1000 for 800 watts.

I might try to find an old Genz Benz and just go in the effects return.

I wonder if a tubey-sounding Genz Streamliner used as power amp behind a Sansamp used as preamp would be a good pairing?

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Any of the newer class D amps that have a series (serial) effects loop (all of the GB amps, many others as well) can be used as a power amp only. Be sure to research rated sensitivity and be sure that signal routing/flow works for you. Check the associated block diagrams to be sure.

8. Rockin Mike

What is "rated sensitivity"?

Currently I'm running:
    bass->wireless->compressor->Genz Benz Streamliner 600 front input ...
    Streamliner Effects Send->multieffects->Sansamp (instrument level)->Streamliner Effects Return

So I am running the Sansamp straight into the Streamliner power amp, but by then it has the Streamliner preamp section baked in.

Is that a sensible way to set it up?

It sounds fine, the thread originated in that I'm looking for a backup amp for the Streamliner and was thinking about just getting a plain power amp.

Based on the lack of options in the market for a pure power amp in a "speakertop" format, I may well want to hunt down another Streamliner or a ShuttleMax *.2.

9. walterw

in that situation the sansamp seems superfluous; you're already using the nice genz preamp, you don't need another one clogging up the signal.

the sansamp idea would be better expressed as bass=> wireless=> compressor=> multieffects=> sansamp 1/4"=> genz effects return, sansamp XLR=>PA.

10. Rockin Mike

I'm reading that amp sensitivity is the ratio of output power to voltage input, and I'm wondering what are the things to look out for? The Sansamp can be switched to output either "instrument level" or "line level". I think going into a power amp it should be set to "line level". Is that right?

Is there anything else to watch out for regarding amp sensitivity?

11. Rockin Mike

The Genz preamp is nice but I like the voicing and dirt that the Sansamp brings. What I like about the Genz preamp is the 250Hz mid control. It really adds "wump". So I like both for different reasons.

12. walterw

yep, "line level" is for power amps; if it gets loud enough you're good, that's all there is to it.

13. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I've read of a few people that think the SansAmp is awesome but ultimately find sonic nirvanna when adding an EQ to pull more mids out. It doesn't seem that uncommon.

14. Rockin Mike

That is why I use the Sansamp Para Driver DI. It has a parametric midrange control that can be used to put a mid boost wherever I need it.

15. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Rated sensitivity is the drive level required to reach rated output power. Line level is approx. +4dBu. Some preamps can not reach this without (unwanted) distortion because they are designed around instrument levels which are lower.

In the case of your Streamliner, the power amp input (effects return jack) is located after all of the tone shaping eq circuitry do that will all be bypassed when you use the Streamliner as a power amp only.

16. Rockin Mike

Cool, the Sansamp should be OK then. It's documented as being able to provide +4dBu (Line) or -10dBu (Instrument), via the switch on the top. I set it to "Instrument" going into the front of a regular bass amp, and would set it to "Line" going into a pure power amp.